My Father

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

My Father

Post by racfish » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 am

Its been a crazy year for me. On Thursday evening I get a call from my fathers nursing home that I need to come there right away. I watched my father pass away. Today is the funeral. My dad was my best fishing partner. He bought me my first rod and reel. It was a Phluger Supreme with a Wonder rod. I still have them today. I will miss my dad. We had a close relationship. Fishing was how Dad and I bonded together.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: My Father

Post by Amx » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:19 am

Sorry about your Dad passing away. Dads are important.
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:30 am

sorry to hear of your loss racfish. I remeber when my dad died, it was pretty traumatic. The finality of life really hit home hard. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:53 pm

I’m sorry to hear that, Ralph. My father and I did not share a lot in life...BUT, he did introduce me to the world of fishing through alpine lake fishing, the Mitchell 300, etc.
I hear you on that stuff.

When things settle, go back and fish some of the same places you went with him. String up the Wonder Rod. I occasionally go to our original alpine lake, from back in the day.
It will be worth it to do it again.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Although I'm sad I'm relieved also. The past 6 months for dad were very hard. He had a Trachey tube in his upper chest/ throat. He lost his ability to talk. He was on morphine all day and night. I hated to see him this way but I was very close and loved him very much. I took my dad to band practice 2-3 times a week. He played in 2 swing bands and the Renton Community Band. We fished the Green back in the day when the Green was always in the top 10 rivers for steelhead.(Before the Gillnets).

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:33 am

Sorry to hear of your loss. I, too, know the finality that comes with losing your dad as mine died 22yrs ago at 61 and really thought about that when I turned 61 last month.

Remember the good times you shared together and keep his memory alive in your heart, if so, you will never be separated from him.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 am

Condolences from here as well. My father went into a nursing home at the end of summer and just had a rough bout about 10 days ago. Luckily I was there on the east with him at the time and we got to talk a bit about fishing. This stuff happens, but it is always too soon and too painful. Luckily fishing provided an environment to just 'be' together, so you could get to know each other better. Stay strong. Dave