Twin Ponds I-5 and 145th N. Seattle

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
whorde
Petty Officer

Re: Twin Ponds I-5 and 145th N. Seattle

Post by whorde » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 am

Sculpins like worms. I've caught one there at Logboom, and one in Ballinger. Not intentionally. You just randomly pull one up once in a while. I was messing around at the very start of the pier at Logboom, got a huge snarl on my reel, had a worm sitting in the water, pulled up a 3 inch sculpin. Was the first fish I caught this summer. Man, how time flies.

hhc1482
Petty Officer

Post by hhc1482 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks whorde for the tip. I've since managed to catch some sculpin on worms and jigs. Interesting looking critters.

Twin Ponds Lake - Revisited

Fished at this location earlier today. I wasn't sure whether or not to submit a report, since it's not a particularly great place to fish and it's not listed in the reports section.

I wasn't expecting much to be honest, there is still a slick of chemicals on the water top most areas. The ponds themselves are covered 70% by algae. And the openings to actually fish are very limited. That said, I caught my biggest largemouth bass catch in Seattle thus far, here. I'd forgotten how fun it was to catch a lunker in the 5-7lb range. I didn't have a scale so this is only a conservative guess on weight. It looked immaculate, no scarring or damage to the tail fins, a good indicator that this monster wasn't one that had recently been caught and released. I also managed to hook into something that appeared to be a trout of some sort, unfortunately that one got away as I reeled it into shore and got tangled by a water bogged log. I'd be really interested in fishing this place some more, if only there were more openings to fish. The north pond is where I had most luck, south pond may as well been rendered inaccessible with all the greenery in the way. Caught about 3 fairly nice sized largemouth, and one trout that I could only visually surmise was one, and it got away.

Would I recommend this fishing hole to people? probably not, it's a mess to really find a good spot to fish from shore and it's a pond. If your in the area and have some time to kill, it's nice to try your luck, won't really take much effort, bass in here seem real hungry.
Attachments
IMG_4071.JPG
IMG_4071.JPG (162.82 KiB) Viewed 14095 times

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:56 pm

There's an interesting article in the latest Outdoor Life reference urban bass fishing.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/201 ... ss-anglers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not necessarily my thing, but have noticed a similar type of niche fishing in Phoenix in the urban waters there.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:20 pm

a little more north has anyone fished at chase lake/pond? years ago i remember people catching small bullheads from there.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:09 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote:a little more north has anyone fished at chase lake/pond? years ago i remember people catching small bullheads from there.
I grew up right around Chase lake/pond. As I recall the last few times driving over the bridge, (in the past 6 months) There is not any access to the water, that I can see. At least on the West side of 84th Ave.
I think on the right side, there is a picnic table, and MAYBE some kind of access to water, but as I see it from the car, it looks VERY much like it has filled in since my 1980-82 time period.

Edit: Well, since I started this thread a couple years ago, I guess I can derail myself if I like.
Drysuperfly, check out a little known lake called Forbes lake. It is in the report section. It is located in the Totem Lake area a few blocks North of that Costco that is NE of Kirkland. Very small lake with minimal access, except through a weird little trail behind some apartments. Cool little lake, I've caught LMB, tons of perch, catfish, etc. in there. Gets NO pressure, due to limited access.