would you use a boat left on the shore of a secluded lake?

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
angry john
Petty Officer

Re: would you use a boat left on the shore of a secluded lak

Post by angry john » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Wow lets not go extreme and have people getting shot. There are some locations where I have used a raft in CT that was placed there by a person and everyone used it. It was on public land and people respected each other and kept it clean and even did some upkeep each time. I left a paddle and re-roped it a few different seasons to make it nicer. The boat with the lock provides a clear indication that it is not for use. The other boat could be considered abandoned if it did not have registration. Property that is clearly owned by someone like a car or your wife is yours. The second is even iffy if she decides to play. In that case its her fault. :cheers:

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:05 am

Why would anyone think it's ok to leave your private property laying around for long periods of time unattended on public land in the first place? Just my $.02 but if you do that you've offered it to the public.
If you don't want anyone using it haul it back out. What gives anyone the right to take up public space storing their private property?
Gives me an idea though, need to get rid of a small boat........

Not trying to start a fight either but I'm struggling with the underlying premise that any of us have a right to leave boats laying around the shores of public lakes unattended, for indefinite amounts of time, for our convenience. Then to expect others to respect that property when you didn't and left it laying around, I'm struggling with that concept.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:36 pm

Jd39 agreed, its called abandonment, on most nfs trails signage is clearly posted not to stash or store any personal affects or cache for more than 48 hours. The same signage also tells people to take everything they came in with, and not damage or leave anything on the delecate lake shores... In any location it is abandoned especially if there is no name or registry posted for it, if it is regestered then it is littering, at very least technically.. and no one in their right mind would concider it theft if people used said boats in said condition.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

would you use a boat left on the shore of a secluded lake?

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 am

One poster took it a step further and said they would use any "random" boat that wasn't locked up or secured. There's a big difference between clearly abandoned and any accessible boat. That is not only trespassing and stealing, it's also a good way to be jailed or shot by the owner. Would you like it if someone just randomly helped themselves to your boat? [-(
Last edited by Bobber_Dogging_Gal on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobber_Dogger

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:17 am

A boat that is abandoned or for public use should be marked as such. That way, there's no confusion or consequences. Otherwise, it's not worth risking your life, jail time or court appearances over. [-o<
Bobber_Dogger

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:05 am

No. That being said after 30 days you can be the rightful owner haha.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:08 pm

I'd use it.
And I wouldn't feel bad about it either. If it was a second time down to the lake I'd probably bring a trolling motor and battery.
I have done it before and know of the exact same situation that these guys were in that prompted this question.
I know a couple of smaller ponds that have boats just like the one described resting on the shore and it is apparent that the person that put it there and uses it would most likely not have an issue with someone else using it. If I put an unmarked boat, on a shore, for my convenience, I would almost expect someone else at some point would use it. If I came up and saw someone using it I wouldn't care at all. I'd actually be happy knowing that someone else is enjoying using it and ask if I could fish with them.
That is just me though.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:56 pm

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I am appalled at the number of folks with this kind of "finders keepers" attitude.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:30 am

Fishnislife gets it :cheers:
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:07 am

Larry3215 wrote:I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I am appalled at the number of folks with this kind of "finders keepers" attitude.
I can not assume. But wonder if your opinion is based on the boats location to be on a "private" pond as apposed to a "public" one? Your logic seems plausible for a boat floating on or beached near a private pond on private property. Or, tied to a private dock located on a public lake. Which, in this case, it has been "clearly" established in the thread to be located on a public pond.

For me, that public location eliminates your perception of what is mine is mine (my property) and for my use only on my property. The boat being unmarked, does not make it yours simply because you walk up and say it is when someone is found using it. Maybe the boat was intentionally unmarked to avoid penalties from laws in place against storing the boat on public land?

Maybe your not right for leaving the boat there. Maybe I am not right for using the boat. But a unmarked, unlocked boat, floating and rope tied to a tree, having oars inside, on a public pond, in clear view of a public walking, biking, running, hiking, trail certainly is a open invitation to opportunity.

So, if your going to take the position that this boat is mine, and for my use only. Take it home and store it on your property like everyone else does.

Finally, who is to say, after a given length of time, that this is your boat at this point, and falls under "abandonment" laws? Where you risk loosing it to whomever claims it and turns it into the local police for the 30 day holding period?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:57 am

oops - double post somehow.
Last edited by Larry3215 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:58 pm

I dont see what difference it makes where the boat is when you "find it". Its not your property to take.

If it is not supposed to be parked there, then notify the proper authorities. You do not have the right to do anything else about it.

If you think its abandoned, notify the authorities and/or start a salvage claim. Thats how it works if you want to be legal. The law does not give you the right to do anything about it on your own initiative. You cannot just say "its abandoned" and do what you want with it. Thats theft pure and simple.

Besides which, this is the great rainy North West. If a boat has been abandoned for any length of time, it will be full of water and leaves and junk. It wont be in usable condition. If its not full of water and junk, then its being used regularly and kept in a usable condition. But that doesnt even matter really. You still dont have the right to just use someones elses property even if it is abandoned. The only thing you can do is report it and let the legal process work its way through.

As of a few weeks ago there was a small row boat docked at the public dock in Gig Harbor. You are not allowed to dock for more than one or two days at that dock max. You could tell it had been there for a lot longer than that because it was about to sink it was so full of water and crud. Do you think its ok for you to take that boat for a spin because it was "obviously abandoned" and illegally left on public property? Why would it make any difference if it was out on the woods or at that public dock?

I have parked my boat way back on lakes and rivers that are on public land and been gone for hours long hikes and or gone camping off in the woods and left the boat on the shore unattended. Does that make it ok for you to take my boat just because Im not right there to say no?

Do I have to be right next to my property 24/7 to keep you from deciding its yours to do with as you please?

I park my car off in the woods and go camping sometimes. Does that mean you can take it for a joy ride? My son-in-law goes mountain biking. He often leaves the bike to do some climbing. Is it ok to take his bike for a joy ride just because he isnt there?

Someone mentioned earlier that they werent really taking it, just using it for a bit and never getting out of site of the launch point. If you get in my car and just "use it for a bit" - even if you stay within sight of my driveway, thats still car theft.

Just because a pond or lake is off in the woods doesnt make it a free for all when you find someone elses property - boat or anything else. Baring some emergency situation, if its not your personal property, you have no right to do anything with it other than notify the authorities.

The same thing applies to private property. If I park my boat on private property, that still does not give the land owner the right to take my boat for a spin. The most he can do legally is call the authorities and have it removed and me ticketed for trespass. He cannot take my boat or damage it in any way or he is liable.

The only possible exception to that would be if the boat owner left a sign on it expressly saying it was ok to use the boat. In this day and age of law suits, that wold be incredibly stupid - for liability reasons.

That said, I would never leave my boat laying around at a remote lake - especially after reading this thread - precisely because I know some people cant be trusted to respect other peoples rights. Just because you know some one is going to take it if its left unwatched, doesnt make it ok to do so. Its still theft if you dont have permission.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:08 pm

I know that a few years ago and individual had packed a canoe into a remote lake here in Eastern Washington. They chose to throw a chain and pad lock on it. When the Forest Service was informed they went and removed it from the lake.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, But this also sounds like the folks who bury all their elk tents in the Blue Mountains that is also illegal. I got to help a packer buddy in the mid 1980's go on a Giant Easter Egg hunt and the amount of gear we packed out was unbelievable. Lots of folks were upset but they had no legs to stand on.

I guess as a good deed you could always get it near the road and spray paint on it "Lost Boat"

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:22 pm

fishnislife wrote:I'd use it.
And I wouldn't feel bad about it either. If it was a second time down to the lake I'd probably bring a trolling motor and battery.
I have done it before and know of the exact same situation that these guys were in that prompted this question.
I know a couple of smaller ponds that have boats just like the one described resting on the shore and it is apparent that the person that put it there and uses it would most likely not have an issue with someone else using it. If I put an unmarked boat, on a shore, for my convenience, I would almost expect someone else at some point would use it. If I came up and saw someone using it I wouldn't care at all. I'd actually be happy knowing that someone else is enjoying using it and ask if I could fish with them.
That is just me though.

fishnislife
Im thinking a big lake if it was my boat I put at a small private pond I wouldn't mind if somebody used it. In would expect it if I left it there for.some reason my fishing morels would not let me use somebody else's haha

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:36 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I saw one up on Lake Isabel. It had to be flown in to get there.
No it didn't, there's a road that goes about 75yrds of the lake, if you know where it is. And you have the guts and traction to go there.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Maybe you are tough enough to tote one up that wall..... I was not as it was a crawl up it. Besides I think that road is closed now. In the past it took a few oil pans off.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:06 am

I drove up there last year, not to bad if you have a real 4X4, The stopper is the log bridge and I wouldn't suggest doing it alone or with rigs that don't have winches. Most of the road is a pretty easy drive, it appears closed but only because of river you have to cross at the start.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:00 am

Bodofish wrote:I drove up there last year, not to bad if you have a real 4X4, The stopper is the log bridge and I wouldn't suggest doing it alone or with rigs that don't have winches. Most of the road is a pretty easy drive, it appears closed but only because of river you have to cross at the start.
Is this a new way in? At one time two roads went that way and the lower road was the one that was bad on oil pans. You could tell you were on the "trail" by following the oil drips. The upper road didn't go all the way thru then.

We followed the directions we thought we were given and stumbled thru the brush until we got to the upper road. We found some old logging equipment in that batch of tangles along with some steam equipment for logging.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:08 am

I have had a boat on the beach at Camano Island for 6 years. I painted on the bottom that its for Free use. BUT there are literally 50 there. and I bet most people don't remember what ones theirs LOL

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:10 am

Well the road starts in Reiter then goes across the river/stream. It's been up to 2' deep when I've crossed. then the road goes up the hill through a series of switchbacks past the caves and eventually works its way back Eastish where you have to go across the river again on a log bridge. Not for the faint of heart and why I say you should only do it in a group with 4x4's set up for off road. Not a stock suv or pickup, you will be very sorry. The road does go around to the old logging equipment that was left there. I suspect at one time there was a Baily Bridge across but it's only logs now.