would you use a boat left on the shore of a secluded lake?

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: would you use a boat left on the shore of a secluded lak

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:13 am

cobrar543 wrote:I have had a boat on the beach at Camano Island for 6 years. I painted on the bottom that its for Free use. BUT there are literally 50 there. and I bet most people don't remember what ones theirs LOL
Yep that was case at our place, until the end of Aug when (I'm guessing) a group came through and stole a bunch of motors and cut a bunch of dinghies loose. I'm glad mine stays in the boat house, felt really bad for the neighbors. I walked out in the morning and saw a nicely painted oar on the beach, looked down the beach and it was littered with lifejackets and oars and boats.........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:31 am

It has been 15 years since dirt biking the area. But, recalling from memory. Does the 6 or 8 log bridge cross May Creek? A rudimentary bridge consisting of logs having various sized diameters and perhaps strapped together with cable? Immediately after crossing the log bridge, the road takes a hard, hairpin left? Large rocks dispersed in the road bed. At one point there is a 2 to3 ft rock ledge to climb over? Eventually the road turns right, at this point the road is very steep (30 degree climb?) and is a boulder field? I got as far as the steep boulder field on a Honda 3 wheeler. By them the rough road had delivered to many painful water blisters. I ditched the 3 wheeler in the bushes, as a guy on a trials motorcycle bounced on by. I and walked up the boulder field but that proved very difficult, being totally out of energy, and still had to grip the handle bars on my way back down the road. NO friggin way would a stock truck attempt the portion of road across from the log bridge. I could not remember today, how to get to that road. I do not recall if it passes the large mine opening, where standing water could be seen inside.

I typed this earlier. When submitting that which is typed above and it all disappeared.

EDIT: I have lost so many comments to the Northwest Fishing Reports "submit' button. That I am extremely picky when posting or commenting anymore. Usually occurs after typing a long winded written comment or reply. Happens often enough, that on the rare occasion I visit this site. That, to be on the safe side. I must recall to "copy" before "submitting" just in case. I have not encountered this or the problem with downloading a picture to a fishing report on any other website.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Yep
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Bodofish wrote:Yep
How far is the lake from the base of the steep boulder field? That area of trail reminds me more of a dry creek bed than a road!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:07 pm

I wasn't driving that time. Been to the bolder field a few times but turned around. My Montero just didn't quite have it or maybe it was having to drive it to work...... rattling my brain and body I want say it was about a half mile past it. Then down through the bushes. With my smashed back, I've been known to be a little bit drugged up (not driving) for those expeditions. It is one heck of a road sort of.... 33" inch tires are pretty close to mandatory and a winch held for safety. I'll bet it was fun riding up there. We always saw lots log folks on bikes. The 3 and 4 wheelers mostly stopped at the bridge. most of the lakes in that area had the roads going to them when I was a kid. My mom was the camp nurse at the camp in Goldbar. We used to haul camping gear for over nights to some of them.... In the early 60's. Except for Lake Serene. No easy way there.
But the bigger question, if I found a boat tied up out there, I'd sure borrow it with out a second thought. The key being borrow and leave it for others. =)

Sent from the phn, please excuse any spelling....