Looking for some good spots, new to WA

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Salty_Andy
Angler

Looking for some good spots, new to WA

Post by Salty_Andy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:55 pm

I moved here about a year ago and have been fishing all over the place with moderate luck. I live in seattle area and I'm looking for a few decent spots to check out for bass and tout. Its a lot to explore without much guidance as I am teaching myself the tactics around here. I came from New Hampshire and it feels like a world apart.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Looking for some good spots, new to WA

Post by Amx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:45 am

Well, the Seattle area is kinda large. So, north or east or south of Seattle? Maybe even west of Seattle?

Check out the lake maps here on Northwest Fishing Reports, and the fishing reports for ideas, and picture pages of the lakes. Pick a lake close to where you want to fish, and check the reports, check the map and pictures to see what it looks like, and if it has a ramp for a boat the size that you have, if you have a boat.
Tom.

Interests: living

Salty_Andy
Angler

Post by Salty_Andy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:27 am

I'm around Renton area. I also have a kayak and have found that it may be best to look for the harder to get to lakes, everything seems so busy.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Have you been to lake boren yet? With a kayak you could get away from the dock which is the only place that is consistently fished! Just the other day I saw a guy pull in a 17" rainbow from the dock. He was hucking lead to the south east corner of the lake. So if you could kayak out there and also venture around the lake in sure you'd hook up! Every time I'm there there's people catching fish with noderate to solid success. Plus it's very close to Renton in the Newcastle area!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:31 pm

if you have a kayak (and even fishing from shore), Lake Washington is really all you need. Lots of great bass, yellow perch, other panfish, trout, crawdad, etc. opportunities.

Use the same tactics you would use elsewhere around the country: look for perch outside the weedlines, look for structure/cover for the bass, fish shallow near shore cover for the panfish, look for weedy/swampy areas for the cats, etc.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:01 pm

+1 on his lake WA suggestion. It's close and has a variety.
Lake boren like I said.
And also very nearby to Renton is Lake Meridian is Kent.
They have Kokanee, trout, bass and panfish. You would want to get out there early tho before the waterskiiers etc get in the water!

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:11 am

Lake Sawyer is down past Renton, towards Black Diamond. Great bass fishing, as well as trout and I am sure there are other species as well.

Oh, and welcome to Seattle! I am sure there is quite a bit of culture shock coming from New Hampshire, but I think you will find it to be the greatest place you'll never leave :)
Fisken Morder!!!