Carp fishing in the us?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Centershock
Angler

Carp fishing in the us?

Post by Centershock » Fri May 27, 2011 6:27 am

I was now a lot of times fishing for trout and it was fun but its to easy.
What i mean is, i can catch this 5 fish in under 2 hours. Ok thats good but its not the fun im surching for. I go to the lake for fishing and i dont wanna be done after 1-2 hours. So im thinking about fishing for carp, because i think thats lot more fun and i can spend more time @ the lake.
Now my question is, are there carp inside this washington lakes?
I heared about catfish and its the same method of fishing, but i like the sun and i heared you can only catch them @ night.
I dont like this cast, cast, cast, id like to cast it out and wait.
Hopefully you guys understand my problem and can help me bring pack my fishing fun. :-)
And im sorry for my english..... still learning.

thank you very much

Gringo Pescador

RE:Carp fishing in the us?

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri May 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Welcome to the site Centershock

Carp are great fun to catch.
There are carp in many of the lakes around.

I have seen carp in:

Lake Sammamish
Lake Washington
Greenlake (lots of people fish for carp there)
Ronald Bog up in Shoreline
A little nasty muddy pond between North Seattle Community College and I-5.
Potholes and many of the Seeps lakes
Moses Lake
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri May 27, 2011 3:50 pm

As previously mentioned, there are carp in most all of the larger lakes and throughout the Columbia River. Carp fishing is pretty much a cast and wait game, so it looks to be what you want to do. I have found that carp are typically shy fish and will bite more readily around dawn and dusk. Carp fishing techniques developed in Europe will work here as well, so any info you may find on the internet on how to catch them will help you.

Here is a link to get you started, it shows you how to tie and use a hair rig: http://socalangling.tripod.com/rigging/id5.html

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:52 pm

I fish for carp every weekend down here.
There are also carp in lake tapps.
I have caught most of my carp on corn.
I know "boilies" work good to.
Just type in carp boilies in the google search bar and
there will be many results.!
Good Luck !
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri May 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I usually fish carp with size 2 snell hooks and big ole crawlers. I have found that worm oil works great to add to the crawlers! Since being in wyoming I have caught them on leeches and minnows fishing for walleye...
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Centershock
Angler

Post by Centershock » Fri May 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Thank you guys for all the helpfull information. I have 2 more questions.
I have seen a lot of videos now and i think i know how to fish for carp. we do the same in germany.
My problem is i have no idea what line should i use and what size of hook.
in germany we make our boilies (we call it bollis) for our self and everyone have it own recipe.
Do you guys use bait out of the store or do you make it at home?

this is going to be so much fun! i rly dont wanna fish longer for this trout zombie fish.
I think its not normal, putting a red plastic ball on your hook and the fish like it.

and .... i cant find the Knot Section! :-)

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:32 pm

I personally make my own bait, i have seen in stores that sell "Carp bait".
Ive bought and tried out these baits, and have NEVER had one bite.
I make my own boilies, or ill use corn. Both work great. I actually use small hooks, because of the way there mouth is. I have used hooks that I would use for salmon-1/0 hooks, or size 1 hooks.
And have had lots of bites, but not one hook up.
I go to a little tiny trout hook, and i have never lost a fish, and have never missed a fish.
Good Luck !
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri May 27, 2011 6:47 pm

The line you should use depends upon the rod you will be using. Don't use line rated for 6lbs with a rod rated for 20lbs and vice versa. In general, I would go with a light leader and a size 2 or 1 octopus hook. The link I had in my last post suggested using braided line as it is thinner and softer resulting in a rig that is less likely to spook the fish.

For knots, just look up the following: Bumper Knot, Improved Clinch Knot, Palomar Knot and the Uni Knot. There are many sites that will show you how to tie these knots, most are animated as well.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri May 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I fish for carp every weekend down here.
Good Luck !
Is this one shoe peg corn out of a can and a size 8, 6 or 4 hook? I like using the smaller hooks also. I have never targeted carp though. Fishing Red Rock Lake a couple weeks back, I must have seen a thousand carp skimming the water. Wish I had something to toss at them on the surface, not much else was biting at the time. If I had lots of time to spare and a bucket of money for gas, I'd like to give them carp a try by hunting down the schools with a boat at Red Rock Lake.

Last weekend at the Quincy Lakes area the wildlife(birds mostly) were very active, ducks and ducklings, red wing black birds fighting off other birds for specific territory, crickets singing, frogs croaking, the wild flowers were in bloom, I couldn't help but to notice how many sunflower looking plants were around. I would have seen more had I not been so busy catching fish! LOL I didn't see any carp at Quincy Lake area.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

rockjiggr
Warrant Officer

Post by rockjiggr » Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 am

I used to make a point of making my lunch with onion bagels and always put a half a bagel aside after eating the lunch in case there were carp around. Put on a slip sinker (bullet, bell, egg) and a swivel with about 12-24 inch leader below like a carolina rig and end the leader with a small snap swivel at the end. Take a small treble hook and impale a chunk of bagel on the shank of the hook skin side down toward the barbs then snap the hook on the swivel. The treble hook helps to hold the bagel chunk in place and the tough skin of the bagel helps too. Bagels are boiled, you know, so they are somewhat tougher than most breads. Cast out and give it slack so the bait floats up above the weeds a bit in shallow water. Used to catch a lot of hard fighting carp between 5 and 20 lbs on that rig at Black Lake and Long Lake in Thurston Cty. I have seen some monster carp estimated between 30 and 50 lbs in both lakes too.
Last edited by rockjiggr on Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cast that catches the fish is never too short. Patrick McManus

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:43 am

MarkFromSea wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I fish for carp every weekend down here.
Good Luck !
Is this one shoe peg corn out of a can and a size 8, 6 or 4 hook? I like using the smaller hooks also. I have never targeted carp though. Fishing Red Rock Lake a couple weeks back, I must have seen a thousand carp skimming the water. Wish I had something to toss at them on the surface, not much else was biting at the time. If I had lots of time to spare and a bucket of money for gas, I'd like to give them carp a try by hunting down the schools with a boat at Red Rock Lake.

Last weekend at the Quincy Lakes area the wildlife(birds mostly) were very active, ducks and ducklings, red wing black birds fighting off other birds for specific territory, crickets singing, frogs croaking, the wild flowers were in bloom, I couldn't help but to notice how many sunflower looking plants were around. I would have seen more had I not been so busy catching fish! LOL I didn't see any carp at Quincy Lake area.
Yupp, the size 8,6, and 4 hooks are about what I use.
And the shoe peg corn out of a can is what I catch them on !

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat May 28, 2011 6:33 am

rockjiggr wrote:I used to make a point of making my lunch with onion bagels and always put a half a bagel aside after eating the lunch in case there were carp around. Put on a slip sinker (bullet, bell, egg) and a swivel with about 12-24 inch leader below like a carolina rig and end the leader with a small snap swivel at the end. Take a small treble hook and impale a chunk of bagel on the shank of the hook skin side down toward the barbs then snap the hook on the swivel. The treble hook helps to hold the bagel chunk in place and the tough skin of the bagel helps too. Bagels are boiled, you know, so they are somewhat tougher than most breads. Cast out and give it slack so the bait floats up above the weeds a bit in shallow water. Used to catch a lot of hard fighting carp between 5 and 20 lbs on that rig at Black Lake and Long Lake in Thurston Cty. I have seen some monster carp estimated between 30 and 50 lbs in both lakes too.
I'm guessing this is about a size 10 or 8 treble and about an inch square chunk of bagel. I like that swivel idea to snap the hook into the rig. So did you always use onion bagels or did you ever try the garlic? LOL Throw chicken liver on and it's good to go for cats! Yeah Buddy! Thanks!

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:16 am

I went fishin today for carp,
in about 6 feet of water. Clear as can be !
Our usual spot. We started chumming corn, and they didnt show for about 30 minutes. I was about 10 feet away from my pole. My uncle is right by our poles and says "Jacob, theres a carp over here pushin 20+ pounds" When he said that, he was lookin at me not the poles. I see my pole start to move, I bolt over to it and it goes in the water, I dived for it, and broke my right hand, on shore.. But got up, and could see my pole so I went in the water after it. I did get my pole back, but this 20+ pound carp broke my 6 pound test on my ultralight rod. Ive caught MANY carp on this and this was the first one to break it. I've caught a 13 pounder on it, my biggest to date.

cudaman
Warrant Officer

Post by cudaman » Sun May 29, 2011 4:18 am

one loaf of wonder bread,1 can cream corn ,2 cups fruity pebbles. Mix it all together place in fridge overnight and BAM best dough balls for carp ever
Nw tiger pac chapter 57

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun May 29, 2011 5:49 am

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I went fishin today for carp,
Our usual spot. We started chumming corn, and they didnt show for about 30 minutes. I was about 10 feet away from my pole. My uncle is right by our poles and says "Jacob, theres a carp over here pushin 20+ pounds" When he said that, he was lookin at me not the poles. I see my pole start to move, I bolt over to it and it goes in the water, I dived for it, and broke my right hand, on shore.. But got up, and could see my pole so I went in the water after it. I did get my pole back, but this 20+ pound carp broke my 6 pound test on my ultralight rod. Ive caught MANY carp on this and this was the first one to break it. I've caught a 13 pounder on it, my biggest to date.
Seriously? A broken hand, that's devotion! Did you end up with a cast?

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun May 29, 2011 6:03 am

cudaman wrote:one loaf of wonder bread,1 can cream corn ,2 cups fruity pebbles. Mix it all together place in fridge overnight and BAM best dough balls for carp ever

Damn! This is something I need to try, carp fishing. This bait sounds like it would be a simple and effective recipe after reading those european ones for boillies. I think if I just added egg to this one, then boil the balls, I'd have honest to goodness American boillies. LOL BONUS>>>>>> Looks like a good snack as well! LOL

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun May 29, 2011 6:51 am

MarkFromSea wrote:
cudaman wrote:one loaf of wonder bread,1 can cream corn ,2 cups fruity pebbles. Mix it all together place in fridge overnight and BAM best dough balls for carp ever

Damn! This is something I need to try, carp fishing. This bait sounds like it would be a simple and effective recipe after reading those european ones for boillies. I think if I just added egg to this one, then boil the balls, I'd have honest to goodness American boillies. LOL BONUS>>>>>> Looks like a good snack as well! LOL

Yea, I don't know why Europe has to make things so difficult. I've mixed up my own doughbait with some bread creamed corn corn meal and a bit of red koolaide. Other types that work is flour and water, let it sit on the counter over night, then put powdered garlic on it and mix it with cocoa pebbles. It always smells like the corn processing plant I worked in when I was a kid, which is an Awful sweet and savory mix that is quite pungent but carp seem to like it. Also what I do sometimes is put the dough around my weight, on account of chumming isn't legal in WA, and it acts as an attractor.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun May 29, 2011 6:52 am

Hahaha, wow man. Devotion. Are you going to be able to work a rod to fish with that hand for a while? That would kill me to have a cast and not be fishing.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:10 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:
Seriously? A broken hand, that's devotion! Did you end up with a cast?

Yupp !
I am still trying to go fishing,
my uncle wont take me.
But once i go to Washington on wednesday.
My grandfather will take me out trout fishing.
I should get it off right in time the summer runs show in good numbers ! :cheers:
I tried to continue on fishing, but wasnt workin very well.
After i got home from the hospital, i tried casting/reeling.
I've found a way around it!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 am

natetreat wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:

Yea, I don't know why Europe has to make things so difficult. I've mixed up my own doughbait with some bread creamed corn corn meal and a bit of red koolaide. Other types that work is flour and water, let it sit on the counter over night, then put powdered garlic on it and mix it with cocoa pebbles. It always smells like the corn processing plant I worked in when I was a kid, which is an Awful sweet and savory mix that is quite pungent but carp seem to like it. Also what I do sometimes is put the dough around my weight, on account of chumming isn't legal in WA, and it acts as an attractor.
That's awesome Nate! I'm thinking about it, hmmmmm,:-k we all can have three hooks on a line in lake fishing,,,, hmmmmmm,:-k I also have the 2nd rod endorsement,,,:-k LOL so I can have six hooks and six balls in the water! It's not chummng but that water is going to smell like it is,,,,, :cheers: LOL LOL