Swede's Fly Shop? (Spokane)

Post by ruthven78 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:42 am

Anyone been to Swede's which is on Ash?
Snakes dont have any arms that's why they dont wear vests - Stephen Wright

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Swede's Fly Shop? (Spokane)

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:59 am

ruthven78 wrote:Anyone been to Swede's which is on Ash?
Ouch, how long have they been there and why have I not heard about them.#-o

Can you give me directions, I would like to spread my support around a bit.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:08 pm

:-" I would say about 10 years now.

http://www.swedesflyshop.com/

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:58 am

Marc Martyn wrote::-" I would say about 10 years now.

http://www.swedesflyshop.com/
I guess I got stuck too much on the Blue Dun before and now the one out on Indiana. I feel kind of, well, stupid.#-o
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:55 pm

Swede's is awesome. Stann Grater is the bomb. That shop is top-notch...the construction in and around Swede's is really hurting their business. They get my business time after time.. :thumleft:

They have everything you need for stillwater, rivers and those ponds...the knowledge in there is really quality compared to some westside shops.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:22 am

kutthroatkilla wrote:Swede's is awesome. Stann Grater is the bomb. That shop is top-notch...the construction in and around Swede's is really hurting their business. They get my business time after time.. :thumleft:

They have everything you need for stillwater, rivers and those ponds...the knowledge in there is really quality compared to some westside shops.
Swede used to have a store in Woodinville before he moved to Spokane.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Fantastic store, great owner and great information provided.

gdrees
Angler

Re: Swede's Fly Shop? (Spokane)

Post by gdrees » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Sorry I'm late to the party. I find Swede's to be a great resource. If I can only finagle a way to get a job there . . .

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:53 am

Swedes is a good shop. He is also an Orvis dealer and I can get my favorite reels there. The Battenkill Disc. However, most all my business these days go to the Westslope Fly Shop.
http://www.westslope-flyshop.com/About_US.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:33 am

I also go to the Westslope. Great little shop. Jesse and John are great guys. I bought an 8 wt. Reddington fly rod from Jesse this last spring.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Swede's may be a great shop but I wouldn't go as far to say he's a great owner. He's a business man, plain and simple, probably a good one too, but at times when tested with ethical issues doesn't appear to make the best choice.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm

I haven't had enough money to get his attention. Everytime I go in I get the cold shoulder, but I have to compete with men who have bought rods from him that cost as much as my first family car.
I've never had that treatment from Sportsman's Warehouse. They at least pretend they're happy to see me, even if I don't buy anything.

Someday, when I'm not buying diapers for babies, I'll go back. But then, I'll probably be in diapers myself.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Re: Swede's Fly Shop? A retraction.

Post by reelman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:50 pm

I have to retract my previous statement. I went back to the store today because business took me a couple of blocks away. This time I got lots of 1 to 1 time. He (I'm assuming it was Stan) was generous with his time and knowledge. I was inspired to crack open my hermetically sealed wallet (it makes a whooshing sound when it opens).

fishunt
Angler

Post by fishunt » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:46 am

Anymore, I usually go to Westslope or Silverbow (http://www.silverbowflyshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Great people in both shops who also give back to the fishing community by donating generiously.

mcfishy
Angler

Post by mcfishy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Swede's is a well-stocked shop with some merchandise in larger quantities than I can usually find in shops. However, I'll second some previous comments that I am not thrilled with the character of the owner. My son got me back into fly tying about 3 years ago after a couple decades of rest. After a couple glares and comments from the owner, my son refused to go back to the shop. I've heard similar comments from other fisherman's wives. Tough to encourage future anglers and customers with that attitude. The closing of Westslope is a true loss. John and Jesse were great people and encouraged the next generation. Even with Westslope gone, I have no intention of bringing business to Swede's.

HOOKUM
Angler

Post by HOOKUM » Fri May 16, 2014 1:14 am

I'm gonna check it out. Bought a $100 "package" from an outfit called dream drift flies aka flies for alaska. Said they were going to supply detailed instructions. And all I got was about three lines of vague descriptions. Fortunately there are videos on YouTube for some of them. Tried to contact the guy Brad and never heard back after he got my money. Not cool....

nwflycaster
Petty Officer

Post by nwflycaster » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:15 pm

I've been to Swede's a few times when in town, but was a regular when they were in Woodinville where I live. The owner does have a wealth of information if it's the same guy as when I was there last 6 - 7 years ago. He just may or may not share it. I've never found him rude or anything, just kind of "matter of factly" and not really a people person. I can't say anything against that, I like to be around people, but have a quiet personality myself. I'm always happy to talk to you, but I'm also not usually the one to start the conversation.