Twas the night before the opener

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rjn cajun
Captain

RE:Twas the night before the opener

Post by rjn cajun » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:33 pm

hey kevinb thanks for the tips. I got my boat back so I won`t be renting one from ericsons but I will stop by with the kids and see how things are going. Good luck to everybody

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Twas the night before the opener

Post by kevinb » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:39 am

An oldie but a goodie.
Best of luck to everyone heading out and Happy Easter!
Be safe and enjoy

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Twas the night before the opener

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 am

From the Washingtonlakes vault.

I have a pretty full plate for a bit and most likely won't be out this weekend but wanted to wish everyone the best of
luck this weekend and be safe.

Who's headed out? and where?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:47 am

TROUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Attachments
trout.jpg
trout.jpg (70.52 KiB) Viewed 9228 times

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 am

Love it! Resurected my thread! :)
Another year at Wapato for me. Packing up now.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 am

with yr round lakes to fish, sometimes i don't understand "opening day"
none the less, this yr will be my 1st ever "opening day" outting. taking the wife and kid for an adventure..
no plans yet on where, but a less populated lake will be the plan.. must start researching.. [cool]

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:20 pm

oneshot wrote:this yr will be my 1st ever "opening day" outting. taking the wife and kid for an adventure..
no plans yet on where, but a less populated lake will be the plan.. must start researching.. [cool]
Opening day lake and "less populated" are two things that don't go together my friend good luck on your search though [thumbsup]

Me, I'm going to hit the Cowlitz and if I get board (or quick limits [-o< ) run up to Riffe.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm

When I fish opening day I fish lakes that do not get stocked.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:
oneshot wrote:this yr will be my 1st ever "opening day" outting. taking the wife and kid for an adventure..
Opening day lake and "less populated" are two things that don't go together my friend good luck on your search though [thumbsup]

Me, I'm going to hit the Cowlitz and if I get board (or quick limits [-o< ) run up to Riffe.
what he said in the post above..
I like to travel down dirty dusty roads and hike a little.. sure i'll find something... i got a few secrets up my sleeve for non stocked lakes with fish.. ;)

OR possibly morning rush at the populated locals then head out to our stashes.. the wife and kid like to escape. so no convincing will be needed to head into the woods.. dads pants are sturdy :)

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:18 pm

I use to avoid the opener,I'm not even much of a trout fisherman but I actually now enjoy opening weekend.
Always good to chat and see other anglers out with their families etc. I won't be out this weekend,just got plenty of
things going on but best of luck out there to everyone headed out.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:01 am

Here's a Central Washington Update for the Opener from Dave Graybill:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=414

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:30 am

Wow! Old thread for sure. Interesting to see some old posters that aren't around anymore.

I like to avoid this weekend. Especially since the year round lakes have been producing already. I always find it interesting the people that show up for "opening weekend" on a year round lake that has been stocked for a month. [confused]

Be safe out there. Good luck everyone.

Looking forward to all the reports and interesting stories from the weekend.

fishnislife

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 pm

A bump and a blast from the past. Good luck to everyone heading out.

For those interested,Mineral Lake will be hosting a derby as well.

Take part in a derby

One tradition for opening day is a trout fishing derby. Here are some to consider:

Mineral Lake: American Legion Storm King Post 171 will hold its 20th annual Fishing Derby on Friday and Saturday at Mineral Lake. Entertainment will run 6 p.m.-midnight Friday, with the fishing derby running from 12:01 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday. The weigh-in will be at 12:30 p.m. at the Legion post. There also will be a raffle. Proceeds from the event will benefit wounded soldiers and their families through the Lions Project New Hope Northwest. Food will be sold both days. Derby tickets are $2 each. Tickets are being sold at the post and other locations in Mineral.

Offut Lake: The annual opening day weekend derby held by Offut Lake Resort will be Friday through April 28. It is open to any resort customer. The entry fee is $1 a day. The weigh-in will be 6 p.m. April 28.

Ilwaco: The 21st annual Black Lake Fishing Derby, an opening-day trout-fishing derby for kids, will take place 7-11 a.m. April 27. The free event is hosted by the City of Ilwaco Parks and Recreation Commission. Children ages 2-14 can compete for the biggest rainbow trout. In addition, prizes, awarded in each of several age groups, will be given for the highest aggregate weight of a participant’s catch. Registration by Monday guarantees a T-shirt. Onsite, event-day registration closes at 9:45 a.m. with the last weigh-in at 10 a.m. Each registered participant will be offered free refreshments and a small gift. Online registration is available at ilwaco-wa.gov/forms/fishingderby.shtml.

Other DERBIES: VFW Post 224 youth derby at Aberdeen Lake, the Elma Game Club derby on Vance Creek Ponds, the Maple Valley-Black Diamond Chamber of Commerce derby on Lake Wilderness, the Maggie Lake Maintenance Corporation youth derby Saturday, and the Maggie Lake Activities Committee derby on April 28, the Pioneer Kiwanis Club of Mason County derby at Spencer Lake and the Eatonville Lions Club youth derby on Smallwood Lake

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/04/21/2 ... rylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Ah, yes, tis a fine tradition to resurrect this thread every year! Thanks, kevinb!

And I seem to be stuck in a Wapato Lake opening day rut. Another year, another 3 hour trip to the Lake Chelan area. Got new back-supporting seats for the portabote, to replace the flimsy canoe seats. And I sprung for one of those fancy Optima batteries for my trolling motor, as the seven year old Trojan has faded. I am ready and raring to go. :+P

May all of us trout chasers get some violent strikes to break up the looking at the great out of doors!
Urban

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 pm

urbanangler wrote:Ah, yes, tis a fine tradition to resurrect this thread every year! Thanks, kevinb!

And I seem to be stuck in a Wapato Lake opening day rut. Another year, another 3 hour trip to the Lake Chelan area. Got new back-supporting seats for the portabote, to replace the flimsy canoe seats. And I sprung for one of those fancy Optima batteries for my trolling motor, as the seven year old Trojan has faded. I am ready and raring to go. :+P

May all of us trout chasers get some violent strikes to break up the looking at the great out of doors!
Urban

Funny thing... I just told the story in the car, not 10 minutes ago, about your trip last year when the Volvo got turned into a Subaru on the way over there. That was a funny one!

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 am

Goo day fellow anglers!

Off to Blue lake in Grant county later today to see if we can find some fish. Family from both sides of the state congregate for food, fish, and drink (order of that may vary or combine). Made up some smoked kokanee balls last night, yum yum. Should be a good time as long as the bananas stay on shore and the god of the winds is kind. If anyone is there we will be in a big yellow NW Jet 196 Freedom outboard so say hey! Good luck all and stay safe.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Best of luck to you all heading out. I have a busy weekend with my son and hockey but if possible,will wet a line before Monday...but probably for musky but its very tempting to try Mineral but I expect it to be pretty busy. Anyhow,good luck and be safe out there.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:52 pm

It was a lot of fun! I love opening day, everybody comes out. Fished Martha (AM) and caught a bunch!

Saintm1466
Angler

Post by Saintm1466 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:10 pm

My first post here on the forum, just wanted to share my opening day catch! I fished lake Martha by lake Goodwin, I've fished Goodwin, Ki and Shoecraft before but never Martha so with Ki being a mess this morning I took a shot at Martha for the first time. I usually do good with orange or pink powerbait with sparkles, got lots of hits but no fish, after about 2 hours I threw on a 50/50 silver/gold Dick Nite lure and started my troll and Boom started hookin em up, I lost 1 and pulled in 3 others. Not bad for opening day and first time on the water in almost 2 yrs!! I woulda stayed longer but I had other things to do at the house :( . Hope everyone else had great success!! :)

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Fished Sun Lakes with a group of boy scouts, the Puget Sound Anglers fishing club, take a group of scouts out every year on opening day, there were 7 boats with 4 scouts in each they had a ball and caught some nice fish. Left the dock at 8;30 came back in with the winds help ( and I do mean help ) at about 11;30 . A good time was had by all...