anyone heard anything about newman lake?

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish-N-Fool
Captain

anyone heard anything about newman lake?

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:56 am

I heard through the grapevine that Newman has been putting out a lot of skis this spring, anyone fished it or heard of fish being caught?

Magnus100
Angler

Re: anyone heard anything about newman lake?

Post by Magnus100 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:27 pm

A friend of a friend caught a nice tiger today and got bit off 3 times. He was bass fishing. I dont have any more details unfortunately but I am wishin I was fishin. Unfortunately I wont be out for atleast a couple weeks.

Evergreen Esox
Angler

Post by Evergreen Esox » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Well here's a little something about Newman from the Spokesman. The article claimed this is a 55" tiger. I am dubious of this claim, having handled several fish over 50" myself. I think they may have meant to say 45", which seems more reasonable. I could be mistaken of course as there are no perfect people.
Attachments
Newman tiger.jpg
Newman tiger.jpg (35.71 KiB) Viewed 23829 times

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 pm

I fished it Tuesday evening with a coworker, barely got anything. Couldn't even get a hit on a mouse way back in the pads (South end). Finally did catch a couple small largemouth in one of the West bays on a Senko and my coworker had went desperation to a bobber w/ night-crawler catching bluegill and got one bass nicer than mine on that rig, lovely! I saw some guys fishing deep out in the middle of the lake and think with the heat I may need to learn that program. I had steel leaders on, Rapala's/Buzz Baits/etc hoping for a rogue Muskie while bass fishing but didn't get squat.

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:51 pm

I've never fished this lake, but have been around muskie, and i have found that sticking with the bass gear, and using 30# mono leader instead of wire, helps a lot with the breakoffs from muskie and improves the bass bites.
Eat, sleep, fish

Evergreen Esox
Angler

Post by Evergreen Esox » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:08 pm

I'll give you my two cents on Newman tigers for this time of year, in the mornings and evening:
6" Perch or Firetiger colored Jake's and Grandma's, white or orange belly color. Jerked and straight retrieve, fast.
Jointed Rap in Perch or gold/black. Supershad in any color.
Yellow, white or black spinnerbaits most days as a toss back to follows and to work weed pockets.
MG chart/black, with painted blades, spinnerbait when the water really gets cloudy.
Put yourself in 10 feet of water, work the shore line and docks, always moving.
Afternoons: troll supershad rap or 6" bucher depthraiders in 10+ feet of water.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Ha..there are no muskies in Newman! Who started that rumor? Kendall?

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Heyah Esox,
There was a 52" caught out there way back in like 10' or 11' had pictures of it at the store when it was open. I am pretty sure it was a pretty good stick from around the Spokane area that got her..and released her.
How does one get a tiger muskie towell? Good fish man!

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:35 pm

That dude is saying that fish he posted the picture of is a 55"..its on the Missoulian.com website..its a hell of a silly fish story..

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:56 am

ncwflounderer wrote:I've never fished this lake, but have been around muskie, and i have found that sticking with the bass gear, and using 30# mono leader instead of wire, helps a lot with the breakoffs from muskie and improves the bass bites.
Fishing for toothy critters with 30# mono would be insane. I use 80# Fluorocarbon tied to 65 lb. braid I still get the bass bites and land the muskies.

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:00 am

So anybody been to Newman lately? I have not landed a muskie this year so I want to hit the lake soon.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:47 pm

No tigers in Newman..

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:14 am

muskyhunter wrote:No tigers in Newman..
I assume you mean by that you have not caught any Tigers there lately. We all know the lake has Muskie's in it. I did go fish it this week and never had a fallow, but is was super hot that day. Even the bass would not bite as we threw some bass lures for the last hour or so as well. I agree with you on that fish posted above. it was in no way a 55" fish. Somebody got the numbers mixed up because that was a low to mid 20 lb. fish and about 45"long. A fish over 55" would be well over 50 lb. as the current World record was only 52" long and weighted 44 lbs.

Evergreen Esox
Angler

Post by Evergreen Esox » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:19 pm

If you read my earlier reply; just use the last sentence to catch musky in Newman. I was shown this by Muskieguy, it really is the simplest way to do it. This time of year 10-15' will be fine in the AM and evening. Deeper in midday. I recall that big fish, the last time I saw, it was in MG's hands going back into the water several years back (2011 maybe). I remember seeing an old post from a tournament where MH caught the only musky in Newman, maybe he kept it and that's why there are no musky anymore??? That is sneaky of him.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:19 pm

No tigers in Newman the pike the guy caught and released a few years back ate them all..thanks guy!
Evergreen..have you heard from MG at all recently had and lost his number..miss that guy! That tiger at Newman..idk i heard muskies taste like eagles..sneaky..? Yep! lol

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:54 pm

So Newman does still have muskies in it!!!!! I got this mid size Ski the other day on my VERY FIRST CAST in the morning ( so much for the fish of 10,000 casts LOL) It hit a new freshly painted 8" S-waver in a Metallic Golden Perch color that I really like tons of flash in the water works great for both Snot Rockets and Skis.
Here is the Ski I got the other day

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:45 am

Metallic Golden Perch color? How about showing us a photo of that bait.