Multiple Poles In Single Pole Lake One Angler

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
TrackerPro16
Commander

Multiple Poles In Single Pole Lake One Angler

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:06 am

I have verified this with the Fishing Program in Washington State.
You can have multiple poles on a 'single pole' lake with ONE angler AS LONG AS ONLY ONE POLE HAS HOOKS. If they see you with two or more poles you WILL be stopped and inspected, but if you don't mind (I don't) you can do it.
I will use a second pole for 'flashers only' at times on the other side of my boat. I have been stopped for running line all the way off a second pole to straighten it out as well, was inspected, and sent on my way. No biggie.
Just in case you were wondering...

Hunter757
Commander

Re: Multiple Poles In Single Pole Lake One Angler

Post by Hunter757 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Hmmmm
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Seems kinda pointless to be fishing with a pole with no hooks. I guess if your trying to attract more fish but doesn't seem like that tactic would be too affective unless mayne your poles were right next to eachother at the same distance off your boat

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Ok. Here is the rest. Sometimes I will run with BIG flashers on the one side the same distance and depth or within 5'-10'' of distance. Other times I string an umbrella rig with 5+ fish (my own school) on one side. That puts the 'attractant' about 10'-15' away from the lure with the hooks with maybe one smaller flasher or none. When a fish gets on I am not fighting the weight and or the fish does not have the weight to shake out the hook. Does it work? Maybe. That is the beauty of all the fishing stuff at our fingertips. Use what you like. Or don't. :salut:

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Because of the long set back needed, when I run pop gear in Lake Washington, I use two rods, 1 for the pop gear and 1 for the lure. Pop gear is great at attracting fish but totally kills the fight and can assist the fish in tearing out small and/or thin hooks.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Very interesting. Yeah I used to use pop gear quite a bit trout fishing. Never thought to put it on a separate pole. I have never heard of this technique but i guess you learn somethin new everyday!

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:24 am

I run my pop gear off my DR ball but good idea on the extra rod. The more knowledge the better right!
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Ed J
Petty Officer

Post by Ed J » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm kinda new at this. What is pop gear?????

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Pop gear is a just a sting of flashers you use above your lure of choice. I typically had around 3 ft of liter behind it. I would typically use wedding rings tipped with worm.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Pop gear - goes by a number of brand/model names. Cowbells & Ford Fenders come to mind. They are also refered to as lake trolls. Just a collection of various sized spinner blades spaced out on a braided wire line. Mack's Lure makes a non-metal bladed version called Flash Lites.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:04 pm

I have asked the question to a game official and was told it's legal.

The law is pretty simple.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to use more than one line while angling for personal use, except:
(a) Anglers in possession of a valid two-pole endorsement may use up to two lines while fishing in lakes, ponds, and reservoirs open to fishing unless listed as an exception in WAC 220-55-220. Anglers in possession of a valid two-pole endorsement may use up to two lines while fishing in rivers and marine areas as noted in WAC 220-55-220 and 232-28-619.

(17) "Hook and line" or "angling" shall be identical in meaning and, except as provided in WAC 220-56-115, shall be defined as the use of not more than one line with three hooks attached to a pole held in hand while landing fish, or the use of a hand operated line without rod or reel, to which may be attached not more than three hooks. When fishing for bottom fish, "angling" and "jigging" shall be identical in meaning.

You are not considered to be "angling" unless your line has a hook. Another example, you can take a pole with just a weight on it and cast all day long into closed waters, you are not violating a law because you have no hook and cannot catch a fish.

Ralph has been known to go ice fishing with me. But he could be used just as well still fishing. Not much difference than dragging something behind the boat.
Attachments
Ralph.jpg_thumb.jpg

Ed J
Petty Officer

Post by Ed J » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 am

G-Man wrote:Pop gear - goes by a number of brand/model names. Cowbells & Ford Fenders come to mind. They are also refered to as lake trolls. Just a collection of various sized spinner blades spaced out on a braided wire line. Mack's Lure makes a non-metal bladed version called Flash Lites.

Ok thanks. I just knew them by the name of cowbell

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:31 pm

G-Man wrote:Because of the long set back needed, when I run pop gear in Lake Washington, I use two rods, 1 for the pop gear and 1 for the lure. Pop gear is great at attracting fish but totally kills the fight and can assist the fish in tearing out small and/or thin hooks.
how does this work, how do you keep the lure near the pop gear if they are on different rods?