Snohomish river

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
riverhunter
Commander

Snohomish river

Post by riverhunter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Was wondering if anybody has been to the Snohomish since it opened! Not looking for details but rather just asking to see if anybody has seen any fish rolliing or jumping and if you feel like sharing if anyone has caught or seen anyone catch anything

Bill's Hideaway
Angler

Re: Snohomish river

Post by Bill's Hideaway » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Was on the lower river on the 4th. No fish jumping or rolling. Was going to check out the conditions tomorrow.
Bill's Hideaway
Born to Fish, Forced to Work [thumbup]
Bothell, WA

chwong
Petty Officer

Post by chwong » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:43 pm

I went down to the river over the weekend to have a look. I did not see any fish rolling yet.

jcn980
Petty Officer

Post by jcn980 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 am

We need a little rain, just a little, so the fish move into the system but not all the way up. Looks like September will be a great month!

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:35 pm

I have been down almost every day in the morning and have seen some fish starting to move around.. nothing major but a few are around

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:22 am

Pinks will push in without rain. Fish the sloughs. The estuary should have fish arriving now.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:10 pm

I agree with Jon and know for a fact that pinks don't wait or care for rains. A lot has to do with timing of the run. Remember pinks can spawn in brackish water. Either way I really don't like fishing the tidewaters and sloughs. To much muck for my liking! Just hoped I could get some info if anyone has seen any activity on the river as I'm hoping to hit up Thomas eddy around the time that section opens up but if the bulk of the run is still out in the salt I might wait a few days or even a week before I do!

Bill's Hideaway
Angler

Post by Bill's Hideaway » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 pm

I am going to hit the lower Snohomish in the morning. Will post an update tomorrow
Bill's Hideaway
Bothell, WA

Harley15
Angler

Post by Harley15 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:57 am

I haven't seen any pinks rolling yet, but I'm not surprised. there still 2 to 3 weeks out. and you guys are right pinks don't care about rain to move. they move up in runs, kinda neat to see to, you look down river and actually see them coming up the river.. :fish: :fish:

Bill's Hideaway
Angler

Post by Bill's Hideaway » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 am

Was in the Snohomish yesterday. No rollers or jumpers from the mouth to 1.5 miles from the Highway 9 bridge. Marked fish in the river on Finder, but not in large numbers.
Bill's Hideaway
Bothell, WA

Guitarfish
Petty Officer

Post by Guitarfish » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Pinks don't wait for rain like coho, the timing is mostly genetic. If they were waiting for rain they would be thick in the salt, and they are not. I hope I am wrong, but so far it looks like WDFW was right about the Pink run forecast. I got a pink last week in the salt, and the fish checker at shilshole was dumbfounded - it was the first one she had seen all week. Look back at 2015 shilshole fish-checker data for the second week of August (link below), they were checking up to 250 pinks per day. Trolling, you couldn't keep them off. There are a few out there this August, but in a relative sense they are just not showing up.. I would love to be wrong about this, a couple more weeks and we will know for sure I guess. Should be enough to catch a few, but don't expect gangbusters on the Snoho like in years past.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/ ... oCode=1227

Maverick777
Angler

Post by Maverick777 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:47 pm

I went to the river yesterday (8-16-17) and I saw some fish jumping finally. There weren't many maybe 5 jumped in an hour but there was hope that fish do exist in the river. It will only get better in the coming days. Have faith the Pinks are coming!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks Maverick! =D>

Bill's Hideaway
Angler

Post by Bill's Hideaway » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Good news! thanks. Was out on Thursday AM and no fish in the lower river yet.
Bill's Hideaway
Bothell, WA

somethingsfishy
Angler

Post by somethingsfishy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 pm

went to Thomas Eddy yesterday from 3:30 till 7. fished all over. there were some sufacing. saw one fish caught in 3.5 hours with about 25 fisherman. I tried various options. no hits. they were not biting. the one caught was on a dick night with a long leader, so it was probably flossed.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:47 pm

flossing a dick nite? Thought the action made them bite..... #-o :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:
I can tell you what's working for me..... size 01 pearl hot head...... 6' leader...... 1/2 oz cannon on 12" dropper

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 pm

dj2loud wrote:flossing a dick nite? Thought the action made them bite..... #-o :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:
I can tell you what's working for me..... size 01 pearl hot head...... 6' leader...... 1/2 oz cannon on 12" dropper
Flossing does sometimes happen with a dick nite, but it depends on the water you are fishing. I don't think I've ever flossed one at Thomas Eddy because they don't hug the bottom there. Also, long leaders definitely are the ticket for dick nites - 6 feet is my go-to. Pay attention to your hook placement - if you are hooking them in the far corner of the mouth, they are probably flossed.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Thomas eddy is slow moving deep water, twitching jigs is ideal there. NOTHING else will compare at that particular place for pinks. Dick nights do absolutely work for pinks, but they work better with a little more current than what is found in thomas eddy. Try twitching jigs there instead.

with a 6 ft leader your definately going to be flossing some fish whether you want that or not. Not saying they're all flossed or that you mean to but a good portion will inevitably be flossed with a 6 foot leader.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:07 pm

all the :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: so far have been damn near gut hooked on the nook

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am

Things are definitely starting to pick up. I will say that its not red hot yet but I also dont believe its a total bust just yet.