Beginner fly fishing info

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishAddict
Petty Officer

Beginner fly fishing info

Post by FishAddict » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:10 am

I'm wanting to get into fly fishing primarily in rivers for salmon. I would like some suggestions on rod/reel types size to target both the biggest and smallest fish in the rivers but would also work on lakes for trout. I'm not looking for the "holy grail" of fly fishing equipment just a middle of the road type of equipment that will last a while and is durable while I am learning.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Beginner fly fishing info

Post by branweeds » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Fly rods and reels are categorized by "weights" generally from a 2 or 3 and up from there. A three weight would be much lighter, and good for alpine trout fishing/etc.. For salmon you could use anything from a 7,8,9.. depends on preference. I wouldn't buy a rod without going to a local fly shop and getting their recommendation for what you are looking to do. Plus they might have some free or cheap casting lessons that would make a world of difference in getting started. I recently got into it and I have had a blast, but haven't moved up to salmon yet. I caught a some big dollies and feisty rainbows from Ross lake a couple weeks ago and it was one of the best fishing experiences I have had! That was on my 5 weight 9' Temple Fork Outfitters NXT rod I picked up for like 60 bucks.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks for the info! Am definitely going to find a local shop and try to find some casting lessons once I get everything together.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Not sure where you live... but if in Seattle, check out The Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park.
Super nice folks! Fly shops are great.. they are like an old-school barbershop. It will be the same 3-4 guys working, always happy to teach.
Example.... today, brought my friend in. Has never fly fished. He showed them the reels and line he bought on Ebay. They told him the lines were high quality, and that he did not need new line. (Fly lines can run $70-90, etc.
They could have sold a bunch of stuff, but they were a class act.
(You dont need lines that expensive--you are just starting out, just sayin'
Have fun!

Branweeds... I love my Temple Fork Outfitters spinning rod, awesome.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Fishaddict, sorry for the slow reply and welcome to the forum. Not sure why its not alerting me but none the less welcome. If you're looking for some help there are a number of good resources, one of which is a local club. I'd like to invite you to the Northwest Fly Anglers, our general meeting is Oct 19th at 7:00pm at the Haller Lake Community Club in N. Seattle. We even comp you a raffle ticket for a chance to win fly fishing stuff and enjoy the program.
If you any specific questions, please feel free to ask away and if we don't answer quick enough, send me a PM.

Bodofish AKA Matt, Pres. NFA
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:44 am

FishAddict wrote:I'm wanting to get into fly fishing primarily in rivers for salmon. I would like some suggestions on rod/reel types size to target both the biggest and smallest fish in the rivers but would also work on lakes for trout. I'm not looking for the "holy grail" of fly fishing equipment just a middle of the road type of equipment that will last a while and is durable while I am learning.
So a couple things, fly rods are like your leader and drag for gear fishing. Big rods for big fish and small rods for little fish, just kind of the way it is and not really any one size fits all.

If you're looking for Steelhead, Coho, Pink, and smaller Chums, an 8WT will do you fine. If you're looking more at big Chums and Kings, more like a 10WT or bigger. For trout of all sizes a middle of the road 4 to 6WT is good for fishing about anywhere.

Kind of think of your quarry and would you bring a Swiss Army to a sword fight and conversely , you wouldn't use a sword for carving figurines.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!