Running multi pal down riggers on one side of the boat.

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Hunter757
Commander

Running multi pal down riggers on one side of the boat.

Post by Hunter757 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:26 pm

So I decided to install a 3rd downrigger off the back of the boat. He is my problem the gear is getting caught in the rear DR cable and once in a blue moon the other fishing gear. I am running 13lb pancake weight on the sides and 10lb pancake out the back. The booms are extended all the way out. I did turn the rear facing DR towards the center of the boat but the cable is very close to the main it worked out ok but still a bit close for me. So how do you run 360 flashers on the one side of the boat with 2 DR? We tried keeping them 30 ft depth apart but did this not help. Lost 2 complete set up's as both main lines on the poles cut off. I did read that the rear should be a plug only or hearing no flasher, I don't like that answer..... [cursing]

2nd is when releasing the pole from the clip on the forward DR do you just bring up the ball and leave your line in the clip or pop the clip when its at depth and let it rise on its own? Thanks guys hope you can help me as I have looked all over with no answers or videos on how to do this and I hate loosing gear.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Running multi pal down riggers on one side of the boat.

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:19 pm

I think the problem your running into is with the pancake weights. I stopped using them altogether as the current really has an effect on the way they track. Salmon university had a sketch of how to work pancake weights when trolling deep and in heavy currents while using them. It involved bending the back "fin" in an attempt to have the weights track away from the boat. You may want to give that a try before switching over to ball or stick weights. Also, typically the back rod(s) are fished the deepest with the side rods running shallower. When you have your gear out like this, make sure you are trolling with the current and don't make any sharp turns if you are running deep. I prefer to bring up my gear with it still attached to the clip rather than popping it off to bring it in. One last note, keeping your setbacks to no more than 10' will help as well.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks Gman, we were running the side dr up with the line in the clip and that seem to catch more then releasing it at depth. I understand the current issues but not having those just the fishing pole lines crossing each other or catching the rear facing dr wire. We will be fishing lake WA soon for silvers so I will give that a try and see if it helps running the rear one deeper. We tried it both ways a big learning curve for sure for me, but I know others do it so just have to learn. Our set backs were 10 to 15 ft from the ball. One of these days I will find some 15lb stainless steel sticks to use in the salt.

There is some guides running 4 dr in rivers and lakes so hoping someone who has been on one chimes in on the matter??? Lets hope...lol
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 am

If they move around much at all you run the risk of a tie up. Depending on your depth a Dipsy Diver, Planer Board or a very long arm on the downrigger is about the only way you can get good seperation. I have seen pic's of guys with 8 poles on one boat but if that was me I would have them ALL wadded up... [crying]
I was playing with a Dipsy Diver yesterday morning (I have not used them much) and found too much weight or any lure that wanted to dive flipped the Diver over and it came to the surface. Probably states that in the directions... [biggrin]
My biggest tie ups with multiple rigs were from a big change in speed or a big wake moving the boat around/slowing it down for a second.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm

I tried the dipsy diver....same as you nothing but bad luck. This is why I invested in the extra DR. They are extending booms and I have them both all the way out. Now to be clear my DR cables are not getting tangled the fishing line from the pole is.......running a 360 flasher on both. When releasing or bring up the outside dr the flasher will wrap around the rear facing dr cable or rear dr fishing rod line. I think a few more times out is needed and I will get this licked@!@@@@ Lake wa coho here I come.....lol.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 pm

I caught two Coho so far. One on Sunday morning and one on Monday. Both in the South end and before it opened so I could not keep them. One on a hoochie and downrigger and one with the Dipsy Diver with a wiggle hoochie on it.
Figured it was so easy I ran up yesterday morning to North of the 520 and spent 4 hours throwing everything at the fish I could see and ended up with one Cutthroat for my trouble. Probably will try again but not for a couple days.
On the other I always try and bring them up rather than popping it. I am not sure it matters though.

FishLanderPNW
Angler

Post by FishLanderPNW » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:51 pm

The first thing that comes to my mind is getting the Big John, other options just aren't worth the headache http://downriggerspro.com/big-jon-downr ... ilver.html

Hunter757 wrote:So I decided to install a 3rd downrigger off the back of the boat. He is my problem the gear is getting caught in the rear DR cable and once in a blue moon the other fishing gear. I am running 13lb pancake weight on the sides and 10lb pancake out the back. The booms are extended all the way out. I did turn the rear facing DR towards the center of the boat but the cable is very close to the main it worked out ok but still a bit close for me. So how do you run 360 flashers on the one side of the boat with 2 DR? We tried keeping them 30 ft depth apart but did this not help. Lost 2 complete set up's as both main lines on the poles cut off. I did read that the rear should be a plug only or hearing no flasher, I don't like that answer..... [cursing]

2nd is when releasing the pole from the clip on the forward DR do you just bring up the ball and leave your line in the clip or pop the clip when its at depth and let it rise on its own? Thanks guys hope you can help me as I have looked all over with no answers or videos on how to do this and I hate loosing gear.