Lake chelan camping.

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Lake chelan camping.

Post by Mike10gs » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Hey everyone so I will be going to the lake chelan get together this year. It will! Be my first time ever on chelan, and area in general.

My girlfriend and I will be going and I will be tying my 12ft Coleman boat on the back of my truck to try and fish chelan. Is there regulations with small boats on chelan? Registered or anything like that? I want to be able to pull it off without being in peoples way too much. If there is a spot for small Jon boats.

Anyways just want to make my first camping trip there to be a decent one without shhowing up and having no clue where to go. Would like to make reservations for a camp spot sooner rather than later. So suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance

Michael

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Re: Lake chelan camping.

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:47 pm

far as reservations the only place that i know of is the state park but dont quote me on that.. and a 12 ft boat might be a little small ive seen that lake get pretty rough in the winds but ill assume your a experienced boater n have already factored that in.. One recomendation.. theres a burger joint in town called lakeview drive in.. must try.. sorry i couldnt be of more help

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:35 pm

If you have over a 10 HP motor you have to have it registered in the state, if over 15 HP you have to have a boater education card. (in less you are born before Jan 1 1955). If Chelan is federal water and you are powered buy motor or sail you have to have it registered.

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

So I do not need to have it registered. And I have a 3.5hp and 30lb thrust minn kota.
So as far as reservations. Is there areas that are first come first serve?
Thanks for your replys.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:28 am

I think you are ok. The Federal water would be the question, and I found this link that looks like Chelan is NOT federal navigable water.
http://www.uscg.mil/d13/docs/cg_navigable_waterways.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:07 am

If i were you I would camp and launch at the state park. It is a nice facility and see's less ramp traffic then Millbay. And plugging the boat ramp shouldnt be a huge problem as long as you don't take a ton of time. Right outside of the cove near the state park can offer great fishing for Kokanee, Mackinaw and Trout. Your boat doenst need to be registered on the lake but be sure you have all the required safety equipment as the Local law enforcement and Game Dept patrols the lake often.

With all that being said. Be very careful on Chelan. She can turn from flat calm to 3-4 foot rollers in a matter of minutes. But if you stay close to the ramp and tuck tail once the wind starts you should be fine. Good luck and see ya there!

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:49 am

Thank you hlindsay. I hope it's not. Thank you for taking the time to look and sending me the link.

Steelheadin360- that's what I was thinking since the get together is at the state park. It does look like a nice place and I will be going there. I heard they are no making reservations yet is this correct. Is it first come first serve for camping spots?

Yes I did hear the water can start getting bad at times. I will stay close to ramp and if I could fish for kokanee that would be awesome. Mackinaw too? They look huge that would be nice to get on one. Thank you guys so much for helping me out.
Really excited to go out and meet new people.!

JamarHeesy

bsp Lake chelan camping

Post by JamarHeesy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:31 am

Anyone else planning on making the trip over the hill to Lake Chelan on Sept 10-11?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:45 pm

wablue
Petty Officer

Post by wablue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Is there still a get together at lake chelan if so when

wablue
Petty Officer

Post by wablue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Roy21809@comcast.net can some one email me p lol ease of there is a get together again please or you can text me 2532600665 thank you