Freshwater baitfish

Post and find fish ID pictures/descriptions here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tmusky1
Lieutenant

Freshwater baitfish

Post by tmusky1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:01 pm

I was fishing Lake Whatcom on Halloween and found something very interesting on my fishfinder. After posting on a Humminbird forum, thermocline and interference were ruled out but several people suggested it was baitfish.
I was under the impression the only baitfish we had in the area were peamouth and sculpin
Anybody know if we have "schooling baitfish" in the area?

dutchman2858
Commander

Re: Freshwater baitfish

Post by dutchman2858 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:15 pm

I observed a huge school of small <6" perch that ran for nearly 50 yds on Lake Goodwin last week--it looked very similar on the graph. I know they were perch since I jigged up several of them just to figure out what they were!

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Yeah, could be perch. I saw what appeared to be a body on the bottom on my side scan. Arms, legs, head. Shook me up for a second. Hit it with the Panoptix and watched it disolve into a school swimming away. Marked it and came back and it just showed a big school of fish... Bizarre.
I have seen them in a line, in a ball, one that looks like an atomic explosion I got a picture of. No telling what they will school like.

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Interesting, thanks for your input. Perch never crossed my mind but yeah, it makes sense.