Halibut Charters

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dustin07
Commodore

Halibut Charters

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 am

Hey Guys,
been a long time since I've been active around here so I honestly wasn't sure if this question was better off in off topic or saltwater discussion... feel free to move it though! :fish:

I'm hoping to get out for a halibut trip this year with my GF's uncle. I've done a little googling and found a few guides. I wondered if anyone here could make a recommendation though. Seems like the options are either blue water, or protected waters. I don't really care if we go to Neah Bay or Seiku, I'm mostly interested in where we will have the most success and a good guide.

really appreciate any suggestions!!
Dustin

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Halibut Charters

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 pm

We have Seiku Charters as a sponsor in that area, over at Ilwaco it's Sea Breeze Charters. Fished with both and they each do a good job.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks Mike, really appreciate that. Basically there are so many out there I was hoping to get the stamp of approval from an experienced member and your opinion obviously goes a long ways! I'll drop them both a line and see what they still have available this year. I hadn't even thought about going Ilwaco. I have actually fished with Sea Breeze before years ago, they were a standup group when I was with them. Great experience.

SeatoSummit88
Petty Officer

Post by SeatoSummit88 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Hey Dustin,

So fishing for Halibut off the coast is a great experience. If you set out from Neah Bay, Seiku or La Push; those are some of the top spots, IMPO. Fishing out of Westport or Illwaco, typically is great as well, however your boat ride will be quite a bit longer. The shelf drop off is a lot closer to shore on the north end, and leaving out of grays harbor will push you out around 4 hours or so on a big boat; maybe 2 hours on a smaller guide boat. If you want to go out of Westport, let me know and I can give you some names to call. Spots book as fast as the year prior though! Best of luck!!!!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:43 pm

that's really good info. to be honest I think I'd prefer the shorter trip to the honey hole up north. we're coming from Gig Harbor so the drive is going to be nearly the same whether we go grays harbor or Seiku. close enough that it doesn't matter for a weekend trip.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 am

Just wanted to close the loop on this one, I booked us with Seiku Charters in late May. They've been really great to talk to so far both in email and on the phone. price is looking very fair and I'm looking forward to the trip!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Dustin07 wrote:Just wanted to close the loop on this one, I booked us with Seiku Charters in late May. They've been really great to talk to so far both in email and on the phone. price is looking very fair and I'm looking forward to the trip!
cool, you'll have a fun trip for sure. We'll see them at the Big Horn Show and say hi.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".