Best line for trolling walleyes???

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AJ's Dad
Commodore

Best line for trolling walleyes???

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:45 am

For ever I have said "I don't troll". I prefer to feel the fish when it hits the bait. However, I plan to do much more walleye fishing this year, and trolling is something I'm ready to master in the process. Bottom walkers are a piece of cake, but dragging cranks and such will be new to me.
That said, I will likely be using the same trolling rod setup once in a while to troll for pike. I just ordered a line counter reel, and a trolling rod, but I'm interested in some input on lines. I don't plan to do the lead core thing. Just wondering what thoughts are on Fireline, mono, fluorocarbon, and braid pros and cons.
I was planning to go with the 14lb test fireline. I'm a power pro braid guy with my casting rods, but I always add a flouro or mono leader when I fish for walleyes. Just thought I might try the crystal fireline on a trolling setup. Anyone have any favorites?

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Best line for trolling walleyes???

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Im not an expert, but I much prefer the no stretch feel and much smaller diameter you get with braid. When Im not being lazy, I do exactly like you do, and add a floro top leader for 'stealth'. Im not completely convinced thats really necessary, but it give me hope :)

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 am

Most of our fishing is for walleye, both Eastern Washington lakes and the Columbia and Snake rivers. All our walleye gear is rigged with 12# Maxima and we use the same for leaders on our Slow Death rigs. I tried braid line for a couple years and it was a real pain in rear end when you get hung up( and if your not getting hung up on the bottom then your not fishing walleye the proper way) and need to break your line. I have never understood the reason to us a combination of braid and mono together but that's just me. You don't need to worry about walleye seeing your line, it is just a non issue when walleye fishing. I by far am no expert to be giving advise but between my wife and myself we clean between 60 and 100 walleye per month from March through September. Our goal is 75 walleye per month and we fish for them at least four days a week and fish for Kokanee the rest of the time. Good Luck and stay safe. Bob

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:44 am

So, you don't like the braid because it doesnt brake off as easily when you snag?

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Hewesbob, and Larry,
Thanks for the input.
I agree the braid can be a pain when you have to give up on a lure and break it off. Before I discovered pike fishing 20 some years ago, I was predominantly a walleye guy, but we did 90% of it with jigs. We used to say the same thing. "If you're not losing jigs, you're not walleye fishing in the right spot". I 've jigged walleye in the past by tying the braided line I use for pike, directly to the jig. When I was getting out fished by the guy next to me that was using mono, I got a 10' chunk from him and used it for a leader. As luck would have it, I started catching fish. I plan to continue using a mono or flouro leader when jigging or blade baiting, but as far as trolling goes, that's where I'm interested in thoughts about line. Hopefully, I won't lose too much trolling gear. However, I have donated my share of bottom walkers to Roosevelt and Banks lake over the years. I had forgotten how tough it can be to bust off a lost lure when it has to be done. Good point

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 pm

AJ's Dad,
I hope to see you out there, I've still got the same Yellow Lab and the same boat! I run braid with a fluorocarbon leader. I run the same set up if I'm drop shotting, jigging, trolling bottom bouncers or Cranks (which I too am going to try more this year). I don't like losing gear especially bottom bouncers and I feel with braid you lose less gear because its stronger and the minimal stretch helps pop gear out of snags along with helpful for hooks sets. Walleyes have great eye site and the fluorocarbon leader eventually breaks when you get hung up on the bottom.
Hope to catch you on the water again,
Dan

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Dan,
Wow there's a blast from the past. Good to hear from you. We'll have to hook up and go catch a few. I'm still a die hard pike guy, I'm just planning to spread it around a little more this year. My new Lund is a little more walleye water friendly, so I plan to give em hell a little this year.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:00 am

Though not a walleye setup I do run fluoro leader on my trout trolling setups with leadcore. Have caught walleye while trolling for trout so maybe that counts. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount