12V portable bilge recommendations..?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

12V portable bilge recommendations..?

Post by The Quadfather » Thu May 31, 2018 7:20 pm

Do any of you carry a small 12V (portable) bilge pump on your boat?

I’ve got a failed in-dwelling bilge. Bought a hand pump one, haven’t used it.. then saw a guy in my bass club fire up a portable 12V unit.
He just ran the outflow over the side of the boat. Exactly what I need!

My only condition is I need to be able to set the pump in the small 4” X 4” square hole near boat drain plug. Some of the units though are almost that diameter..

What do you like?

Sideburns
Commander

Re: 12V portable bilge recommendations..?

Post by Sideburns » Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 pm

I have a diaphragm pump from an rv water system I use in my little boat. Just need to get the suction hose down there and it self primes. Alligator clips on the wire ends.

These little cheap pumps are close to fitting:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sfzX9t5CUwbxe0mR2

But dont think it will make it:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cCMlA4vzd1RDoGbT2

Hope those links work, never tried like this before...
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu May 31, 2018 9:03 pm

The diaphragm pump that is in the pics too is kinda nice because it works to fill a cooler for a short term live well if needed. Its way overkill though, I just had it around.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu May 31, 2018 10:31 pm

Yeah, I’ve seen something like this at Outdoor Emporium. I just need to go measure one, and bring it home.

Or better yet, now that I’m about to become a Pop Rivet replacement expert... I could just unearth my below flooring Bilge, and replace it with a new one. Imagine that... :-"

Thanks for the pics.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:44 pm

A156EDEA-C016-47F1-AFAF-DCDF79C4BF7E.jpeg
6C9AEBA4-FBC2-4D4A-86A4-570598D9D448.jpeg
Interesting link/pic that you sent. It is nearly the same pump that turned out to be installed in my boat. I was able to locate the section of flooring that concealed the bad pump.

Opened it all up, and it is just like in your pic/link. The one I bought at Outdoor Emporium is the same style, different manufacture.

I am not mechanical at all, but now that I am into this, the live well pump is right here too. The whole compartment is a sandy/dirty mess. I am thinking I can clean it all up and maybe replace the Live well pump as well. This is one of those times where I just need to quit fishing on Saturdays, and actually do something constructive, like fix this thing.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:20 pm

My live well pump failed too! Ill be doing nearly the exact same repairs to our lund very soon. The flooring in ours is going to need work at the same time though. Getting soft. As far as I can tell, on my lund the entire surrounding consoles/compartment well have to be disassembled to remove and replace the main floor sheets!

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 pm

My bilge pump failed last month. The livewell and bilge were the same brand and of a ‘cartridge’ style so I was able to leave the base in place and just change the motor/pump. Though they are obsolete I was still able to find a new one on Amazon. They un-snap and pull out. Might double check yours to see if it comes out like that as well.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Yes, Trackerpro... mine are the same pop out cartridge type. I wound up just replacing the whole thing. Although I prob could have done the cartridge. The incoming Live well is a cartridge I think as well, although it works fine, maybe I’ll do that as well.

Parts come this week.
Fill boat with water on Sunday, get ready underneath to mark any bum rivets.