Have had no luck. HELP

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Have had no luck. HELP

Post by GoingtoFish » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm

I am a long time fisherman but the last few years have been tough and I just haven't had the time I used to to fish. I've been watching the forums and fish reports and looking for the best opportunities for me to catch fish but no luck. I'm in Redmond and thinking about heading south to Tacoma on Sunday to fish Dash Point for coho. No boat so it's shore or dock for me.
Here is my question.
What is the best method to get me a coho?
Bobber and hearing? Buzz bomb or dart? Large spinner or spoon?
Any help would greatly appreciated and details would help to.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Have had no luck. HELP

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Is there any reason you feel the need to go all the way to Dash Point, from Redmond? There are tons of fish being caught right out in front of Shilshole. You’ve got a fine land point/beach there, that produces. Also, Lincoln Park, West Seattle, amongst others.

Also.. standing on a beach in Tacoma... or standing on a beach on Whidbey Island?... No comparison.
If You are looking to get out of the Seattle/Redmond area, Whidbey a much nicer choice.

Don’t know if you fly fish or not, but fly fishing produces Coho on the beach. A simple inline spinner such a Vibrax is a solid bet. https://www.fishusa.com/product/Blue-Fo ... x-Spinners

The buzz bomb, as you mentioned. A Kastmaster, as well. It’s not nearly the same as being out there on a DR, but you can still catch fish.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Post by GoingtoFish » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks Quadfather. I guess I was thinking of going down south because I haven't heard as many reports from area 8,9 and people catching from shore. Other than whidby island and Edmonds pier any other spots that you might recommend?
Also is it better to hit the beach on high tide or low tide?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:31 am

Meadowdale beach, Carkeek Park, Golden Gardens, Lincoln Park, Discovery Park.
I like to fish the incoming tide, 1 to 1.5 hour prior to high tide. I avoid low tide.

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Post by GoingtoFish » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19 am

Thank you! I'll post a report.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:07 am

Herring about 4-5 feet under a float if you are fishing a beach with a good current. Also good are 2.5 chartreuse rotators with a pink squid skirt. Cast out and reel back fairly fast, don't jig it. Coho like to chase, a lot of hook ups will happen almost right at your feet. I reel back quickly enough that the lure sometimes almost breaks the surface. Use a scent too like herring oil, it can be the last piece to get the fish to commit before turning back around right at the beach.