Surf Fishing Washington Shoreline

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DutchAngler
Angler

Surf Fishing Washington Shoreline

Post by DutchAngler » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:22 am

I have this question. I have become quite fond of surf fishing for red tail perch in Grayland beach and nearby beaches. Every beach I have visited is relatively level for several yards before you can reach a good trough. Is there a beach on the Washington coast which has a steeper descent to the water? I believe this will have deeper troughs which are not several yards from the edge of the water. Thanks

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Surf Fishing Washington Shoreline

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 pm

Fish the west side of Westport The beach is steeper there. It levels out as it gets down to Grayland. Keep in mind you only need 2'-3' of water. If you are having luck in Grayland, why change?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:44 pm

I’ve fished Grayland, Roosevelt beach near Moclips, Ocean Shores, higher up above Moclips.

Caught surf perch on all the beaches. Can’t recall any beaches that had much in the way of troughs, although I realize your point.
Like TrackerPro16 said, if you're finding them, then there ya go! (-:

DutchAngler
Angler

Post by DutchAngler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks Trackerpro16 & Quadfather...especially will be looking at that west side of Westport.
The reason I am interested in finding a newer steeper beach is because sometimes the distance between the trough and where I'm anchoring my gear and stringer. Until I figure out a better method of retaining my fish out in the surf while fishing, I have been walking back and forth to hold the fish. Most times its like 40 to 50 yards. I tried stringers (gets caught in my legs) creels (probably need a more quality creel), coolers (anchored the waves still washed it out). Any suggestions?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:01 am

DutchAngler wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 am
Thanks Trackerpro16 & Quadfather...especially will be looking at that west side of Westport.
The reason I am interested in finding a newer steeper beach is because sometimes the distance between the trough and where I'm anchoring my gear and stringer. Until I figure out a better method of retaining my fish out in the surf while fishing, I have been walking back and forth to hold the fish. Most times its like 40 to 50 yards. I tried stringers (gets caught in my legs) creels (probably need a more quality creel), coolers (anchored the waves still washed it out). Any suggestions?

I use what I call a razor clam net. This is the mesh material netting that has a circular metal ring. You wear it on your waist when clam dogging. I drop the fish in there. If you feel it is too narrow of a diameter, then use a mesh laundry bag. Attach this to your waders via a wading belt. All your fish in there. Water passes through. Wear a vest with pockets for you simple supplies/tackle. Necklace holds line nippers, pliers, etc.

DutchAngler
Angler

Post by DutchAngler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:04 am

Thanks again...I have one of those clam nets and it may work for 2 or three but some of those perch are pretty big. I give it a try.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:15 am

Just remember about the mesh laundry bag with the draw string. That is plenty big.
Regarding vest/multiple pockets, etc.
Find a jacket or something with both upper and lower pockets. I pre-cut any bait, etc. Just have it in one big nasty pocket.

Riverdick
Petty Officer

Post by Riverdick » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:47 am

Hey Dutch. Let's keep this thread going a bit. As I have been interested in this fishery myself but have pretty limited experience in it.

Looking for any replies:

What's your set up of choice. I'm just doing the double egg weight to a single book with a gulp bait. 12# main and 8# leader to a #1 of #2 book. My leader is about 3'.
I like the simplicity of this set up but might wAnt to try a double book set up.

I'm using a 9.5' steelhead casting for rated 6-15 line and 1/4-3/4 line rating. I want to try a 11' spinning rod but not interested in going much heavier rating as most perch i have caught aren't that big and aren't the best fighters

What do people think of braid for this fishery? I'm looking for less line drag in the pounding surf and heavy winds.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 am

Riverdick, if I understood your setup, it sounded like you aren’t using a drop shot setup, but are going the reverse.. with your weight above the hooks in your setup. Main line.... weight...swivel... leader.... finally hooks.

If it’s catching fish, I guess don’t change it.
Most people fish with a drop shot rig. (Weight at the end of your main line, 2 hooks above the weight. No swivel or leader.
I think the intent is that your weight is closer to being on the bottom, with bait above it, more visible. In theory I get that, and that is how I fish for surf perch.
But... look at the ocean surf. It’s like a Vitamix blender on speed 9. I don’t know that anyone’s weight is anymore on the bottom than anyone’s bait. It would be interesting to take the time to fish both setups, and see the results.

I think your 9.5’ rod sounds great, for length/good casting. Like you said, if you get out to an 11’ rod, that is a telephone pole. Doesn’t sound very fun for feeling engaged with a 10” surf perch.

Braid might be fine, I don’t know, but I would want a 5-6’ leader. My only concern with braid would be that you are always battling eel grass, seaweed etc. I think monofilament has less chance of seaweed grabbing on to.

At the end of the day, it’s easy to over think it all. As I was saying, it’s a massive churning mess of surf that your offering is rolling around in.
It would seem to me that the fish wouldn’t be that picky about drop shot vs. standard rigging, or even full mono vs full braid.

Man, I miss surf fishing. Gotta get back to it.
Go on YouTube and watch some Florida coast shark surf fishing. You will literally consider moving, and wonder why we mess with surf perch. (But we take what we can). (-:

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:44 am

"Man, I miss surf fishing. Gotta get back to it.
Go on YouTube and watch some Florida coast shark surf fishing. You will literally consider moving, and wonder why we mess with surf perch. (But we take what we can). (-:"

'Bigger isn't always better". At least I have been told that in other area's... [-X I like to eat perch, fresh or salt water. And my shoulders will not tolerate a long fight with big fish. Too hot in Florida anyway. [cursing]

My set up for surf I have come to use after experimenting is a 1 oz bank sinker (flattened out with a hammer) with a 9' downrigger pole (light or ultra light) with a casting reel with 20 lb braid, a snap swivel on the end, my pre made leaders (dropshot style) with one or two hooks and Berkley Powerbait sand worms or clam necks from razor clams I have dug. If you dry the Powerbait out a little they will last longer. I also will also use 1 oz pyramid weights or the disc weights to keep the weight from moving too much with the surf. I don't like too much weight though. I did just pick up a new surf rod that is a little heavier and longer, but have not used it yet.
Pay attention where you are getting your hook ups. The fish are usually in the front 2'-3' deep of water which means people cast WAY too far out most of the time. The fish run parallel to the beach eating what the wave action has disturbed. Look for a calm section between waves and cast to the back side of that. If there is a dirty section of water fish either side of it. The 'troughs' are not real deep all along the beach and of course as the surf comes in they change.
I have spent a fair amount of time studying the beach at low tide to study the dips, grooves and channels just to get a 'feel' for it and have come to the conclusion and use the 'Take a look, find a spot, fish it'. It changes so much every cycle you just find a spot and go for it.
Good luck!

Riverdick
Petty Officer

Post by Riverdick » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Yes my set up has the book at the end. I prefer the egg weights So that the weight doesn't catch in the sand too much. I like to cast and slowly retrieve covering more water quickly and staying a bit more active. Not too into waiting for the fish to come to me. Hunt them down! Not sure if this is ups my odds or limits my success as said above the fish are constantly moving parallel to the beach. If I only was closer to the ocean than 2.5 hours I might have a better understanding. Hard to go all that way for a chance at some perch.

Another couple questions for you all.
Do you think you do better near the creek mouths?
Ever throw flashy lures like spoons?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:50 pm

I have never been anywhere where there is a creek mouth option. That being said, I am always near the Copalis River, but not when perch fishing.
You might try that beach, River mouth.
I have never thrown spoons via the ocean beaches because it is just to crazy turbulent, but maybe I’m missing out on something.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 pm

let me throw in a few tips:

For a container to hold fish and gear/bait: I use an old duffle bag with a shoulder strap. If i use a clam net, I find that the fish get banged around by the waves and also brush up against my waders with their sharp fins (could poke a hole in the waders), and so I stopped using clam nets (actually it was an old onion sack). Now, I keep a heavy duty plastic bag in my duffle bag, and just toss the fish in there as I catch them and then I carry them with me.

For a rig: I use both a carolina rig (sliding egg weight, swivel, leader, and hook) and a dropper rig (pyramid sinker at the bottom with dropper hooks above). Both seem to be equally effective for me. I do use short leaders less than 10 inches long. I feel that too long of a leader will make it hard to detect their short quick bites.

For bait: I've used it all Gulp worms, grocery shrimp, squid, clam, etc. I usually use grocery shrimp. it is cheap and easy to find at stores. 2 lbs for 6-8 bucks and sometimes cheaper if you find a sale. Plus this shrimp is fairly durable and if the fish are around, they will bite it. Recently, I've been using regular earthworms. You can find hundreds of them on the sidewalk during these spring rains we're having. I've been pleasantly surprised as to how well they stay on the hook and the perch love them.

Lastly and most important: watch the waves. I get knocked down from time to time--I don't move very fast and it is unpleasant and dangerous to get hit by waves over your knees,

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 am

Lastly and most important: watch the waves. I get knocked down from time to time--I don't move very fast and it is unpleasant and dangerous to get hit by waves over your knees

Ain't that the truth! I have taken to wearing my inflatable after a couple 'near misses'. You have 'minutes' if you get swept out without a life preserver. I had one wave that came to the top of my chest waders when it hit me and I have no idea (grace of God...) how I stayed up and didn't go down. It was almost worse when the water was going back out.

Riverdick
Petty Officer

Post by Riverdick » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:52 pm

TrackerPro16 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 am
Last It was almost worse when the water was going back out.

That's when the carpet gets ripped out from underneath you... Gotta be careful for sure!

Thanks for replies. Keep in coming.

Hook size?

I'm half ars planning a trip This Sunday.

Riverdick
Petty Officer

Post by Riverdick » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:58 pm

So we pulled out the rods after limits of clams 😋
Both pops and I went out and have it a try. Saw more people surf fishing than ever before 20 or more. I did notice that we were the only ones using Carolina rigs. Everybody else using the more traditional dropper weight and 2 hooks.

Well pops out fished me he got one nice one and 4 others 8-9". I mostly caught 3-4" and missed bites. I also caught a flounder for the second time. He mostly caught his on clam necks and mine on the gulp grubs. Did see others with a keeper of two but nobody really doing great or having the 🔥 rod....

So is missing a ton of bites part of the norm or are my size of book wrong. Using 2 and 4s is a bigger book gonna help. I have had some take the book pretty deep.

Riverdick
Petty Officer

Post by Riverdick » Sun May 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Anybody make it to the Long Beach Derby or know how it went?