Quiet trolling motor

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
MPM
Petty Officer

Quiet trolling motor

Post by MPM » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 am

I've got a 6hp 4 stroke mercury as a trolling motor on a 19' Klamath. It's a very lightweight boat and I think the 6hp has been fine as far as power goes. However, I'm looking to replace it for a numbers of reasons, and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a trolling motor that is quiet, is enough power for trolling salmon in the sound, and can also go slow/low revs enough for trolling kokanee/sockeye in lakes.

Thanks!

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Re: Quiet trolling motor

Post by SalmonAddict » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:25 am

From my experience with a 12V 50lb thrust minn kota, it was best used on days where the wind was say...less than 10mph? Especially if you are heading into the wind or into the wind at speeds above 2mph. I had to crank up the power to about a 7 out of 10 on the i pilot. Now if lower speeds were needed for certain species, like say 1mph, then it is doable.

I also have used to have a 4hp 4 stroke kicker, it was very fuel efficient and was a little underpowered for my skiff but the main reason i got rid of it was because of the vibration and rattling it makes because its a 1 cylinder engine. I got a 8hp 4 stroke with 2 cylinders, which can cancel one anothers vibrations/knock and BAM! The extra power, and vibration+rattle GONE!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 am

Minn Kota Terrova bow mount, salt water model.
You’l never look back. Cruise control, auto pilot, spot lock, etc.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:13 am

Depends on the trade-offs you value more for your setup, electric is the quietest and lighter but drains battery, a 2 cylinder 8-9.8 hp will be louder and heavier than electric but can charge battery while trolling to run electronics/downriggers and start the main motor.
Both are better than 1 cylinder by far though noise wise.

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:58 am

So, as far as electrics go, how do I make sure I'm not at risk of losing power? If I'm out trolling 3.5mph against the wind all day, for example?

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 am

So, as far as electrics go, how do I make sure I'm not at risk of losing power? If I'm out trolling 3.5mph against the wind all day, for example?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:29 am

MPM,
Yes, there are trade-offs between a kicker and top end electric like the Terrova, but when you wonder about losing power, I’m assuming that are not talking about on your cranking battery to your main gas motor...
The Terrova is best setup to be running on 2 separate deep cycle batteries that are setup in Tandem. With this setup I have run literally all day 10 hours at least. Yes, some of this depends on things like your speed running, etc.
For me I have had absolutely full 10 hour days, and not ever run out of battery, but again your gas main motor is running of a different battery, as well as any electric downriggers, fish finder..etc. keep the electric motor running of isolated batteries(s). It’s an expensive system, but of course it comes with a lot of other benefits, ‘spot lock’ auto pilot, cruise control, etc.

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:20 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:29 am
MPM,
Yes, there are trade-offs between a kicker and top end electric like the Terrova, but when you wonder about losing power, I’m assuming that are not talking about on your cranking battery to your main gas motor...
The Terrova is best setup to be running on 2 separate deep cycle batteries that are setup in Tandem. With this setup I have run literally all day 10 hours at least. Yes, some of this depends on things like your speed running, etc.
For me I have had absolutely full 10 hour days, and not ever run out of battery, but again your gas main motor is running of a different battery, as well as any electric downriggers, fish finder..etc. keep the electric motor running of isolated batteries(s). It’s an expensive system, but of course it comes with a lot of other benefits, ‘spot lock’ auto pilot, cruise control, etc.
I can second this

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:00 pm

If you have the budget and room for it onboard Quadfather’s setup sounds pretty sweet. Would love those features. If your main is on a separate battery it’s not an issue as I was thinking about it.
I’m in a 16’ pro tracer and have everything running off one battery. Also park it in a garage with no power so a pain to hook up to a trickle charger. Wanted/needed gas to always be charging it when possible.
I wouldn’t pass up spot lock if workable though.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:24 pm

I see, yeah.. on a single battery you have to have some certainty to keeping a charge going.

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:30 pm

My Klamath has an upswept bow. Looks like this: https://klamathboats.com/wp-content/upl ... 24x524.jpg. Would that make the bow-mount difficult?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:52 am

It is hard to see exactly from the angle of the image. Here is a pic of mine. Might be a question to ask Minn Kota about.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:02 am

68F08D6A-7B8D-4AFB-8AF0-AC6B874EF40B.jpeg
The Quadfather wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:52 am
It is hard to see exactly from the angle of the image. Here is a pic of mine. Might be a question to ask Minn Kota about.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:04 am

MPM wrote:So, as far as electrics go, how do I make sure I'm not at risk of losing power? If I'm out trolling 3.5mph against the wind all day, for example?
Just my opinion, but you won't be out trolling 3.5mph against the wind very long with any 12v bow mount trolling motor on a 19' boat, and, due to the bow high design of your Klamath, you'd need a custom mounting solution and a really long shaft to reach the water.

For your boat you'd need a minimum 24v & 80lb thrust or more, even then you won't be running into the wind at 3.5mph for very long either. Calm day, on flat water, ok, maybe.

Replace the 6hp with an 8 or 9.9hp 4-stroke. I had a 6hp on our 16' Sporstman a dozen years ago and even though it ran fine and was fuel efficient, I hated the single cylinder thump that rattled everything in the boat. When we upgraded to our current boat, I had it rigged with a 2 cylinder 8hp, night and day difference, and troll all day at 2.5 - 3.5mph with it.

My pair of Lincolns for what it's worth. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:30 am

MPM,

My system is 24V and 80lb thrust. Looking back at your original thread, I would agree that if the recipe you speak of is 3.5 MPH, windy, tide, etc.
Then I would stick with a gas kicker.
(One thing that just kills me on public messages boards is when people respond to threads and they answer back in ways that make it clear they have completely missed the point of the original message)
So, in that regard.. you stated 3.5 MPH, wind, tide, as well mellow Kokanee fishing.
Although I too fish in the Sound, and mellow Kokanee fishing, when in the Sound I just troll via the primary gas motor. The 24v ipilot will do it, but why burn battery when the gas will do it just as well (40 HP SUZUKI)

Now the question is how often would you be in that Puget Sound recipe, 3.5 MPH, tide, wind, vs how often in a lake trolling, and does the lake allow gas motors? (You may need 3 motor options). :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:29 am

I think the 80lb, 24v bow mount might pull our boat, much heavier than the Klamath, 3.5 - 4mph at Max but don't know how long.

First step is to measure from the bow to water surface on a calm day, add 12" to that number, and you'll know required shaft length.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:34 pm

This is all very helpful info. Thanks! I was looking online at the 36v/112lb Terrova Riptide. Probably enough for most of my trolling needs, and maybe the 24v/80lb model would be too.

I suppose ideally a 2 cylinder gas motor and a powerful electric would be great, but starting to sound expensive.

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:26 am

MPM wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:34 pm
I suppose ideally a 2 cylinder gas motor and a powerful electric would be great, but starting to sound expensive.
Yes it is and even used items are still somewhat expensive. But...
One other nice thing about having both is, you could use the electric just to steer and use the kicker to keep ya at speed. Almost like TR-1 Gold for yamaha kickers.
My brother in law just sets the ipilot on a track at .5 or 1 speed to get the prop to steer the boat and just finds the sweet spot on the kicker tiller.
And as posted above, he can switch off depending on target species. only trolling motor for bass, only kicker for puget sound salmon, kicker for speed and ipilot for steering in lakes...etc etc etc...

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:53 am

A lot of people do as SalmonAddict indicated, really depends how much $$ you want to spend for how you fish. I have both on our boat and never use the bow mount to steer because I rarely ever troll under 2.5mph unless specifically chasing kokanee which is maybe once or twice a year.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Thu May 06, 2021 10:04 am

Do you guys have any opinion between the iPilot and iPilot Link (which intergrates with Hummingbird fishfinder)?