trout fly Fishing in lakes Tips and Techniques Grab Bag!

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
buzzardbait2
Petty Officer

trout fly Fishing in lakes Tips and Techniques Grab Bag!

Post by buzzardbait2 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 pm

where and when are the biggest trout in lakes found
Last edited by buzzardbait2 on Sat May 07, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: trout fly Fishing in lakes Tips and Techniques Grab Bag!

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 06, 2016 7:48 am

buzzardbait2 wrote:where and when are the biggest trout in lakes found? THINK INSIDE OUT, the biggest trout in lakes are found cruising the shoreline early in the morning or late evening. big fish need big food and big food is found around the shoreline, they will take a small creature off the shore just like a killer whale will beach itself to capture prey. depending on your skill level with a fly rod, position yourself close to the shorline and cast to shore with one of my favorites from Denny Rickards website (flyfishingstillwaters.com) the Seal Bugger in a burnt orange.
I see a Denny boy..... Keep working it, it's a good one but not the only one.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 am

It depends on the lake. In some lakes the larger fish key in on chironomids, which can be found in 5-20+ ft of water. Some lakes have a large baitfish population and the largest trout key in on those, which are mostly found in <5ft of water. Some trout fisheries (alpine lakes) are best fished as the ice is melting, trout will wait for food previously frozen in the ice and eat it as it thaws. So there is no one go to technique or fly. Personally id fish a knudson spider or leech over a woolley bugger anyday if wanted to immitate baitfish in the shallows.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Mon May 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Chronies work great at certain times of the year. I personally love to fish leech patterns, size 6-10, either on a full sink or under an indicator. Tying them with a non-slip loop under an indicator and casting them into the wind is a great technique, keeping the fly within a foot of the bottom or thereabouts.

Baitfish such as fathead chubs, stocked in a couple lakes (Pass being a prime example) or small perch or trout make a fine meal for large, predatory trout. Trolling Rapalas in areas with brown, rainbow, cutts, etc, catches fish, especially browns. So naturally throwing baitfish patterns towards the shoreline or over weed beds is a productive technique. Some brown trout even become bass-like and hang around docks, foraging on baitfish.

Don't neglect our hard-shelled friends either. There are certain lakes with robust crawfish populations, and fishing the bottom with a craw imitation (I wouldn't go bass size though) can work especially during warmer months when they are more active.

I tie wire-weighted streamers, generally white with some green baitfish flash over top and stick on eyes cemented to the sides. These work well. Usually, they're around 1.5-2 inches long, sometimes bigger. The weight is great for getting th efly a couple feet under the surface, especially on weighted lines, while maintaining a fast strip. Let the fly sink a couple seconds, then retrieve quickly. Love this technique. And if you fish in multi-species lakes, you'll catch bass, large perch and crappie sometimes, and even catfish on occasion. If you fish in areas with muskies or pike in the mix, don't be surprised if a little bugger comes after it either!

Just my two cents.

Have fun y'all!
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon May 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Thats a good 2 cents mr. Horning

Terrestrials work well too. Definately have some grasshoppers and ants. Ive done well on dry flies on lakes too. depends on how the trout are feeding that day. I once gutted a trout that had 5 adult 3"-4" frogs in its belly..so theres that too. That was one greedy 14" cutty lol
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 10, 2016 6:14 am

And I've pulled in a 10" bow with a 9" soft bait salamander complete with hooks hanging out the front. Still trying to eat more. I guess my point is trout in lakes will eat darn near anything that will fit.... or not, in their mouths. I don't really think the pattern matters that much, more the color and will it fit in the cake hole. =)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Tue May 10, 2016 9:08 pm

Want a killer big trout bug, look no further than Crayleesha.
IMG_1781.jpg
Yessir, a mixture of a semi-seal leech and crazy dad. Lead eyes lead to an up-riding, quick sinking pattern, burying in the top jaw of trout. Cuts through weeds like a champ too. Tied on a #6 salmon hook (more like a 2x long #8). Is it a leech? Is it a craw? Who knows. It's the woolly bugger of invertebrate patterns, representing a wide variety of species.

Cast this stinker around structure and through weed beds and hold on.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.