Fishing for salmon with egg clusters?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Fishing for salmon with egg clusters?

Post by Toni » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:18 pm

How does one fish the rivers for silvers with cured egg clusters?
I got a pink female and the cured eggs will be done Saturday.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Fishing for salmon with egg clusters?

Post by A9 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Plunking/Driftfishing/Floatfishing...They will all work. Tie a bait loop on like a 1/0 or 2/0 hook and put the egg cluster on..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:23 pm

I used the eggs today. Do we lose a lot of eggs?
I used a hook with a bait loop tied into it, so I put the cluster in the loop and tightened. I even put the hook through the eggs and the bait loop. It would only last a couple of casts. How big should the cluster be? I guess I want to know if I am doing anything wrong?

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:11 pm

No you shouldn't loos a lot of eggs. You could have bad cure on the eggs. They should stay on for quite a few casts as long as you hook and loop them.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:40 pm

Keep useing egg clusters! They can catch anything in the river from trout to char (Dolly's), to steelhead, to any of the five species of salmon.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:49 pm

I used them today without any success. The people who have seen them said they looked good. I haven't seen any one using eggs catch anything. The man who caught the silver this morning was using his handmade spinners. They were pretty neat.
One guy using eggs showed me his hook and it was tied different than mine. He had a bigger loop. It was wider. Therefore it didn't cut the eggs as quick.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:12 pm

By the way, both the 8lb silvers in my avatar where caught useing egg clusters on a size 1 gammi with yarn, cartruse for high water and orange for low/medium water.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:21 pm

By the way, both the 8lb silvers in my avatar where caught useing egg clusters on a size 1 gammi with yarn, cartruse for high water and orange for low/medium water.
Is that 1 not 1/0? Are you talking about the flow of the river-Like after a rain and the river rises? How do you put the yarn in?
I would really like to catch something on these. Yes, like those you caught!

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:25 pm

size 1 not 1/0 when I saw high water I mean high flow with muddy hard to see through water, like on the Pualup. Clear water, natural is best, orange or pink yarn. you put the yarn on when you start tyeing the hook, underneath the wrapings.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Derrick-k wrote:size 1 not 1/0 when I saw high water I mean high flow with muddy hard to see through water, like on the Pualup. Clear water, natural is best, orange or pink yarn. you put the yarn on when you start tyeing the hook, underneath the wrapings.
Just a little correction to your post. Clear water is not the best in rivers, a nice emerald green color is perfect for salmon and steelhead. I don't know if this is what you meant by clear, but emerald green is the best color for a river.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:48 pm

Yep, thats the way I do it as well Derrick... Yarn underneath stays on good and always looks the same...

I use #2 or #4 hook size if its a small clear stream...

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:08 pm

A spawn bag might work well too......tie 'em up so you don't lose them as easily.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:51 pm

My next question is "How big should the egg sack (cluster) be?" I have heard 3 or 4 inches but this seems real big.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:55 pm

the size of a quarter is good in clear water, some people use clusters the size of a golf ball.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:45 pm

Gin clear water: Dime sized cluster
Emerald green water: Quarter sized cluster
Dirty/stained water: Quarter-50 cent piece sized cluster