Snohomish River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Snohomish River

Post by A9 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:15 pm

The Improved Clinch and Snelling knots are the only two I've ever needed...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:40 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:The Improved Clinch and Snelling knots are the only two I've ever needed...
The Snell knot has broken off for me way too much. Always in the same place. I've lubricated it, changed the number of loops, checked how I tied it against that website, but nothing works. It always breaks off. The Trilene is a very easy knot to tie once you get the hang of it. Actually much easier than the Snell knot. I use six pound test usually, so that might play a part.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:37 pm

I only use the snell knot for snelling hooks when I'm tying on leaders and need a trailer hook...For example the sockeye rig when I need two hooks. Other then that the clinch knot works for every other need of mine and it's much faster to tie...

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:29 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:I only use the snell knot for snelling hooks when I'm tying on leaders and need a trailer hook...For example the sockeye rig when I need two hooks. Other then that the clinch knot works for every other need of mine and it's much faster to tie...
The clinch knot is very convenient, but the Trilene is stronger. This knot can do everything the clinch knot can do and better. Once you learn to use it quickly and effictively, I promise you will use the clinch less and less. Give it a shot and tell me what you think. It will be very frustrating for the first week you tie it, then it will be almost mindless.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:22 am

I've used it but I stick with the clinch knot...I'm sure it's good, but I haven't had a fish break me off this year, and I've been out atleast 80 days this year so far.....

I'll stick a few more Trilene knots on and give it another chance...

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:58 am

Well...the trip turned out just I suspected. Was fun though getting out and at least scouting out some decent fishing spots.

Started at Bob Heirman park...walked down a gravel road to the river and wandered up and down a trail going either direction until we found a spot to fish. The water was flowing fairly well...but had lots of trash (leaves, sticks, etc..). I think once there is some decent rain up there, most of that will be cleaned out.

Once we got to the spot...had this funky odor...found lots of dead and dying salmon. There was a small creek feeding into the river that had a fairly deep spot just as it merged with the river that held a couple fish. One was definitely chum (dark with distinctive strips on its side)...but the other I could not identify...probably Silver that were swimming around on numbered days, so we really didn't mess with them much.

Was having some technical difficulties with a bird's nest...while trying to get that fixed I walked down the bank a bit and hollered out to my partner that the dead salmon smell was just horrible...then I looked down and noticed....I was standing right in the middle of some dead salmon soup. I was a little pissed at first...not to mention slightly nauseous...but all we could do was laugh and try to clean by boots off the best I could. Not more than ten minutes later my buddy found one under a bit of grass with his boot. The smell finally drove us away after about two hours of fishing.

While having breakfast, was told by a local they were hitting pretty hard up around Sultan. But I figured most of those would be spawned out as well. We decided to head towards the mouth of the river and fished around the Everett area for a while. Couldn't find anywhere with decent bank access...except on a slough just under I-5. Parked...wandered down a set of rail road tracks and found a decent spot under I-5. The tide was coming in by that time and the water was fairly clear. Started tossing some trout lures, rooster tails, Panther Martins, Dick Nite's, Super Duper's. I didn't get any bites...but my buddy who was fishing about one hundred meters up stream from me saw 8 good sized trout going by...remembering that was salt water in the slough turned out to be steelhead. He caught one that was 15" and the smallest of the bunch. He was too excited to pay attention to whether it was native or hatchery, either way it was too small to keep, so back it went.

Wandered back to the truck and continued scouting out fishing spots, from Marysville, Everett, Snohomish, Monroe, Maltby and Woodinville. Found a couple spots that were blocked from public access...but called to get permission. I was unsuccessful, mainly due to the fact it was Sunday...but was told to call back during the week and they would hook me up with some access.

I ended up getting skunked...but like I said, found lots of decent spots to fish along the Snohomish...even scouted out the Sammamish. So I will be back.

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:39 pm

If you guys are just looking to CnR chums I'd suggest hitting the Skykomish river or down near the 522 bridge. I know the Chums aren't in their in good numbers, but the rain and a few days may pull in the big load of the Chums...

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks for the pics SAM! For me a picture is definately worth a 1000 words! :cheers:

So another question about Chums.. Depth -Do they run the top 1/2? bottom 1/2? all over? I am going to try the float setup Sam put up so I am trying to figure out how long my leader should be.

And thanks to ALL the gurus that are so willing to lead us greenhorns along!=d>
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:18 pm

If it's chums you want then go to hoodsport hatchery there are alot of chums there.

Small green corky 1/0 hook and chartruse yarn.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:40 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote: So another question about Chums.. Depth -Do they run the top 1/2? bottom 1/2? all over? I am going to try the float setup Sam put up so I am trying to figure out how long my leader should be.
Keep it near the bottom. Some say they like their gear in the middle but most say nearest to the bottom, so a foot or two up off the bottom...

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:54 pm

I was having a few problems running the float setup...but that's mainly operator error. First time trying to run that setup and wasn't having a very good go at it. I am wondering if in a situation like that would it make more sense to run the bait off a short leader (+/- 3ft.) and a slinky on about an eighteen inch or so dropper off the mainline and drift?

How deep does the Snohomish get?
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:10 pm

leahcim_dahc wrote:
How deep does the Snohomish get?
Depends on where you fish. Down low I think I heard someone say atleast 20 feet or so....