Fall Salmon 2016 Dates... Not all is lost!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Fall Salmon 2016 Dates... Not all is lost!

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:17 pm

Hey Northwest Fishing Reports crew! Its been a bit for me. Busy winter steelhead season followed by a busy summer in Alaska, and now in the ocean every day. Its been a grind! Just wanted to touch base with everyone about our upcoming fall salmon seasons

Yes, we have major closures up and down the Coastal and Puget Sound rivers due to an "expected" low coho return. However! Not all is lost. Some fisheries remain unchanged, we do have coho fisheries. Limited yes, but why give up when there is still fishing to be done.

Most importantly, ive been fishing the ocean the last month and a half and coho numbers are WAY up from last year, id say average or just above average numbers for a regular healthy coho year, with much fatter, healthier fish in the mix. WAY nicer fish than last year and more of them. We are catching coho regularly 10-16 lbs in the salt and its barely August. This is a great sign because last year, the coho were scarce to non existant, and very small and unhealthy.

Reports out of Neah Bay, La Push and Westport have also been off the charts, much better than last year, so Once these fish migrate their way to WA, we will undoubtedly see a much healthier return of coho this year than last... WDFW is just being safe after last year... (Always taking the easy way out)

So! There will be coho, lets fish! Message me, go to my website, shoot me a text or call and lets talk about where I will be fishing and what you want to do. We can fish a variety of places with a variety of techniques. Its up to you!

I hope everyone is having a fishy summer and i hope to see you on the river this fall!

Danny Stonedahl
River Chrome Guide Service
Nooksack-Skagit-Stillaguamish-Puget Sound-Olympic Peninsula
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DannyRCGS@gmail.com

P.S. The coho below are the same fish we are seeing in the ocean, that will grow 3-5 more pounds before entering WA and OR rivers this fall👍👍👍
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: Fall Salmon 2016 Dates... Not all is lost!

Post by JoshH » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 pm

I've had this sick feeling we are going to be watching a fantastic run of Coho enter the sound and run up the rivers while we all sit, watch, and cry.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Its gonna happen! Haha wonderful right

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm sure glad to see Danny optimistic after the onslaught of closures. Especially the skagit river to all salmon....... Where are you gonna be able to fish rivers this year with regards to the closure of the stilly, skagit and the nooksack. Even though the nooksack has yet to officially close in the regs, we all know its coming..... ( News flash----- South fork nooksack is now closed to all fishing from the saxon river bridge to the skookum creek hatchery.. ( there has been no fish seen at all in that 1/2 mile stretch so far )

What folks don't realize is that there are 100 cars a day + with folks tubing down the river from the ACME bridge pissing and shitting on the shores of the river and leaving their garbage all over the place. Its been documented to WDFW and the state yet they wont do anything besides take a report...... These activities may be fun for humans but detrimental to habitat and fish populations returning,,,,

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:57 pm

It all depends brother. There will be somewhere! Grays harbor has salmon fishing and a few short coastal opportunities as well. Ill go where i have too haha. Its not ideal but it is what it is. Im just happy to see all these coho. The coast is already seeing giant waves of fish. Queets mouth on tribal land has had a huge push of coho this week. Big healthy hatchery fish. And my buddy fly fished skagit this week and spotted multiple pods of bullet bright cohos in the clear water. Although WDFW and all their idiotic glory closed everything and wont reopen... At least the bright side is coho are coming healthy as ever and at this point we do not have to worry about some crazy decline in coho runs. Because from whats ive seen from my own fishing and heard from dozens of spread out reports... The coho are above average in both size and numbers this year from sitka alaska to the mouth of the columbia and everywhere inbetween