Nooksack Boundarys??

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherman92
Lieutenant

Nooksack Boundarys??

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:52 am

Hey Question about the Nooksack:
Im looking to go fish the Nooksack for the first time since I got sick of the Samish s*** show last year.
Any good info? I know dj2loud has had a good report and provided some good info on his report.
I am having trouble finding the boundary's and wouldn't want to fish in closed waters.
Is Nugents Corner the spot to be or is there other access points??
Here are the Boundarys:
"from Lummi Indian Reservation
boundary to yellow marker at the FFA
high school barn in Deming"
Anything helps.

Thanks!!

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Re: Nooksack Boundarys??

Post by dj2loud » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:55 am

You should see the report today... Nothing like it was last week... I could have used a stick of dynamite and still not seen a fish
slater road access, marine drive, harksell, hannegan, river road, main street ferndale, nugents corner.....everson access... there are TONS Of access...

I have yet to fish the upper boundary at the FFA barn... Not exactly sure where that is.....

Jcverhalen
Petty Officer

Post by Jcverhalen » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:20 am

I've been out about 7 times this year (actually ran into you, dj2loud) and aside from the one report at Nugents and a few scattered rumors of tons of fish (mostly from the guys selling bait) it's been dead. I had heard that you generally don't fish south of Slater road but every map I can find suggests the Lummi Res is below Marine Dr. They do A LOT of their netting just upriver from Marine Dr, though, there's a nice trail that starts at Marine and runs all the way up to Slater, though I saw very limited fishing access. I'm going to drive out to Deming today and work my way back down along the river to Ferndale and see if I can find any access that's maybe not so well known. Otherwise it's mostly sandbars on wide stretches of water with nothing really going on.

If you're looking for someone to fish with who won't steal your fish (trust me, I haven't caught a salmon since 2012), pm me!

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:27 pm

South of slater is basically native net heavy near the mouth...... I tried multiple spots today again, the water clarity is back to zero due to lack of rain, its a glacial silt heavy up north... As i was driving home earlier I saw a nice deep blue pool just north of deming that i was all gung ho about flipping a U'y and making my way to the river only to find out it was a reflection... no clarity at all upon closer looks...... No rain in the forecast next week... I may just bite the bullet and go fish the samish tomorrow, i have fresh cured roe to use.....

Jcverhalen
Petty Officer

Post by Jcverhalen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:26 pm

There was some life around Harksel yesterday about 430...nothing caught but that's the first time I've seen more than 1 fish jump this season. I'm headed that way in a little bit...let you know how it goes.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:42 am

Thanks for the help guys. Im glad I didnt make it this weekend haha didnt have time do to weddding planning... Did manage to get to McMurray for a couple hours for some Bass fishing. never the same as river fishing though. The advice helps though! I will be hitting the Nooksack in Oct when Im back from the honeymoon!
Hopefully the netting slows down...
Tight lines all!

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:38 pm

I've had most of my success at harksell rd or at flynn bar near lynden. Kinda looking forward to trying for chum this year a little more than I have the last couple of years

_DH_
Angler

Post by _DH_ » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:12 am

Has WDFW ever clarified exactly where they consider the "Lummi Indian Reservation boundary" to be?

-DH

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:47 pm

_DH_ wrote:Has WDFW ever clarified exactly where they consider the "Lummi Indian Reservation boundary" to be?

-DH
I don't think the WDFW has much to say about where the Tribal boundaries are. That's pretty much a Federal/Tribal treaty thing. I'm not saying they don't use the established line, they just don't determine it.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:25 pm

I've always assumed "the line" was at slater road. I agree with bodo though. I've fished down river from the slater road bridge and there always seems to be a decent amount of people down there. The natives net quite a bit though so you tend to be waiting more than fishing so they can drift on by and clear the run you are fishing out.