Sturgeon techniques and gear?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Larry3215
Admiral

Sturgeon techniques and gear?

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:09 pm

I just realized its been over 20 years since I went sturgeon fishing with my brothers! We fished the Astoria area several times over the years and made three of 4 trips to Bonneville back in the 90's, but never fished anywhere else for sturgeon and then stopped going.

We decided to try for some keeper sturgeon next week in the Wanapum/Priest Rapids area before it closes down. This will be our first time on this part of the Columbia. We've been on Rufus Woods and Roosevelt a few times, so we arent total river newbies - just old farts with bad memories!

When we sat down to do some pre-trip planning we immediately started arguing about gear, techniques, bait, anchoring, etc etc. We couldnt agree on anything!

Turns out all three us are suffering from very bad cases of CRS! It had been well over 20 years - and 4 boats - since our last sturgeon outing. This is starting to make me think I may be getting old.....

After a bunch of reading old reports, threads, etc, we decided to concentrate on either side of Wanapum dam. The plan is to start out Tuesday and spend the day on the Priest Rapids pool. If that doesnt work out, we will try up-river on Wanapum.

I think I have the gear and technique pretty much back in focus, but I do have a couple of questions.

Im mainly wondering what you guys are using these days for leader material and hooks? Circle or octupus or? Dacron leader or?

Im thinking we used to use about 5 feet of 50-60 lb dacron leader material tied to a barbless hook in the 5 or 6 size? Behind a slider weight of course. We also used half hitches in the leader to hold the bait in place. I seem to remember letting the hook trail behind the bait?

We will be taking herring, squid and sand shrimp if we can find any and maybe some worms to mix in along with garlic and tuna scent.

Any reminders, advice, tips etc would be very much appreciated

This getting old crap sucks!

Oh - and none of us are looking forward to messing with anchors all day long.... but you have to make some sacrifices in life ....... ;)