Chum in the Puyallup?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jhbouton
Angler

Chum in the Puyallup?

Post by jhbouton » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:33 pm

When will the Chum make a run in the Puyallup river?

Ronaldius
Angler

Re: Chum in the Puyallup?

Post by Ronaldius » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:20 pm

They are in right now. I've been seeing the Indians netting them for a couple weeks now. I even saw a couple seals in the river this week.

jhbouton
Angler

Post by jhbouton » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:08 pm

I was there this morning at the soccer fields, I was the only one fishing, never a good sign for me. No sign of fish at all. Maybe I'll try higher up tomorrow. Thanks Ronald!

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Not many fish in the river. Indians nets are very light so far this season... This week Sunday is their only allotted day unless they start seeing more in the racks at the hatchery and some more fish make it to the spawning grounds. This run keeps dwindling like the rest, bummer

Heres the number for the netting hotline, updated weekly (253) 845-7747

jhbouton
Angler

Post by jhbouton » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Where are the Spawning grounds? So some got to Voight and some to the spawning grounds?

jhbouton
Angler

Post by jhbouton » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 pm

I'm new to fishing and new to this site. I've been reading a ton but find I have questions that don't get answered in the books. Is this Forum an appropriate place for me to ask a few questions?

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 am

jhbouton wrote:Where are the Spawning grounds? So some got to Voight and some to the spawning grounds?
They spawn in various creeks throughout the system. The spawning grounds they are reffering to are likely up along the White or Carbon. There is a small tribal run hatchery on Clarks Creek below the state hatchery that they rear chum at also and I believe that is the harchery they are referencing.

You can most definitely ask questions here. Id be glad to try to answer them.

jhbouton
Angler

Post by jhbouton » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Water levels, apparently high levels are bad fishing. Why is that. When I go to usgs.com and check water levels what infornation am i looking for?

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:18 am

Some high water levels are still considered fishable and usually provide better fishing opportunity in certain areas because it encourages the fish to travel the less turbulent waters near the shorelines. The fish dont tend to hold as long when the water is high. It becomes much easier for them to move up the slackwater without expending as much energy. If the water is high and there is still some good visibility it is certainly not a bad time to be fishing.

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 am

Also as far as flows on the Puyallup this time of year it usually has pretty good visibility around 5k and under. Fish can still be caught when it gets 10k and over which it does but it starts puking out alot of debris.