What's the best technique this time of year for steelhead?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ChromeSlayer
Petty Officer

What's the best technique this time of year for steelhead?

Post by ChromeSlayer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:06 pm

What's your go to this time of year? Do like Beads, Yarnies, jigs, Pink worm, Eggs, Coon Shrimp, Sand Shrimp, Small Prawn or Salad Shrimp etc?
ChromeSlayer it's not just a name it's a lifestyle.

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Re: What's the best technique this time of year for steelhea

Post by AJFishdude » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:51 pm

I bet that you could find dedicated anglers that would tell you any one of those things would be their "go-to" right now, but I am personally fond of egg/corky combinations and pink worms. Don't forget hardware though as well (spoons/spinners). When I am out after winter steelhead I like to employ numerous techniques in water that I know often holds fish. I generally try to throw something small/natural/unobtrusive first, and then move on to bigger and flashier things. I.E. consider starting with a bead, or corky/eggs, or small jigs, all in more subdued/pale/darker colors. Then move up to things like spinners/spoons/pink worms.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:34 am

Like aj said not sure you are gonna get a direct answer as they all work great anytime of year. Steelhead hit just about anything that is presented right whether it be hardware, bait or jigs. The thing is if they are in a biting mood more then what works best. River flows ,water clarity and angler pressure usually determines what can be presented properly at any given moment. If you want my opinion I prefer floating jigs with a bead dropper no bait but that could change upon my arrival to my location. I usually fish bait in murky water or as a backup if jigs aren't doing the trick

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Nightcrawlers, uncured roe, spoons, flies and twitching jigs have all caught/hooked steel for me in the past. I can't say any are best, but they work. Most came on spoons for me.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Try Praying!!! Corkies and yarn always work. Eggs are also good all the time.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:04 am

Find a river that's closed to all fishing and fish the hell out of it....

Throw in the whole tackle box if you have to ........ Screw this state.........

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 pm

dj2loud wrote:
Find a river that's closed to all fishing and fish the hell out of it....

Throw in the whole tackle box if you have to ........ Screw this state.........
Try Dupont Spinners. Youre too funny DJ.

Peduncle
Angler

Post by Peduncle » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 pm

That's horrible info for someone just starting out. Really anyone for that matter.

I find that spinners are an easy tactic to use for beginners. Not to mention extremely effective. Throw your spinner out at 2 O'clock and let it sink for a couple seconds. Then start a very slow retrieve. Remember keeping your spinner low n slow is best. Try sizes 4 and 5 with a pink body although chartreuse is very overlooked.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:28 am

im actually to the point where i don't give a rats ass about the WDFW..... I went fishing on the nooksack monday for about 4 hours.... caught a few here and there, two steel that i never landed... very surprised to see just how well fish hold on to a hookless hook.......

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm

The key to steelheading is patience. If you're not landing fish then there are a few things to check. Sharpen your hooks. Set the hooks before reeling in. Set your drag properly. Did I mention Paitience????