Floating Green River in a Raft

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tommymullins
Angler

Floating Green River in a Raft

Post by tommymullins » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:34 pm

I just recently purchased a Catchercraft SRB raft, and my local river is the Green River.

I still have about 2 months before the raft is delivered, and would like to begin planning the float. I am considering putting in at Whitney Bridge and floating to Highway 18.

I have a few questions:

1. Are there any known sweepers?
2. Are there any technical stretches?
3. Any areas that would be suggested to get out?
4. What are the regulations for fishing from within the boat?

Any feedback would be great!

Sideburns
Commander

Re: Floating Green River in a Raft

Post by Sideburns » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:49 am

I have done the float/ drift from whitney-18 many times. Very tame. My 6 and 10 year old daughters have floated it in the summer (lower water) with no issues. From time to time there are trees across the water, and have had trouble getting a drift boat around. Not very technical... Not sure how you define sweepers? You'll probable not even get wet in that raft, but in high water im sure you could get in trouble if your not prepared/experienced or careful enough. The water has certainly been ripping scary fast through this area several times recently. Always check the noaa river site for this area beforehand https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/statio ... ?lid=AUBW1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Im guessing that anything over 3000 cfs discharge is pretty dangerous?

The fishing regs do have something like "fishing from a floating device is prohibited" exclusions for a certain time of year. You'll have to check the regs...
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

tommymullins
Angler

Re: Floating Green River in a Raft

Post by tommymullins » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks Sideburns for the reply!