New to salmon fishing

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zsawyer
Angler

New to salmon fishing

Post by zsawyer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:12 pm

So I live in Raymond WA right next to the Willapa river and there are some others close by. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on rigging and baits to get me started on catching fish, as well as some info on the rivers near me such as when the runs are and best times to go out and fish. Thank you to anyone who replies [biggrin] .

jonb
Commander

Re: New to salmon fishing

Post by jonb » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Tips:

1.) Get out often- put your time in, you may get skunked often while you're learning but with experience, you'll start being more successful. Effort=success

2.) learn twitching jigs - youtube videos, and spend a good amount of time on the river learning this.

3.) cover water. If your not catching fish or something about where your fishing seems wrong or inconvenient, move. Use google maps, try new spots until you see success. The most talked about places aren't typically the best either. Some of the best places you'll find will be zipper-lip quiet areas. You'll have to find these yourself.

4.) Pick a river and learn it through and through, doing so will teach nuances of timing, conditions, fish behavior, human behavior (other fisherman) and much much more invaluable information. Hopping around river to river will cause you to prolong your learning curve.

5.) loose lips sink ships- when you do find good fishing, don't tell other people where your fishing. Everyone and there uncle will end up there flossing and snagging salmon and ruining everything. Fisherman are like mushrooms, feed them **** and keep them in the dark.

6.) after youve started seeing some success on your prefered method, try a new method, such as swinging spoons and spinners, floating roe, jigs or blades, or fly fishing. Don't waste your time with corky and yarn, if a leader is over 5 feet its flossing , if under 5 feet its not as effective as the other techniques mentioned.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

zsawyer
Angler

Re: New to salmon fishing

Post by zsawyer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:09 pm

Alright, thank you so much for the tips [biggrin]