Reel Parts? Anyone know where to get them?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mymannin
Petty Officer

Reel Parts? Anyone know where to get them?

Post by mymannin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am

I have an Abu Garcia Cardinal that needs a new drag cap/dial and Okuma that the handle keeper fell off. Anyone know of any shops or places that might have reel parts?? I know they are hard to find.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Re: Reel Parts? Anyone know where to get them?

Post by Jakefish » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 am

mymannin wrote:I have an Abu Garcia Cardinal that needs a new drag cap/dial and Okuma that the handle keeper fell off. Anyone know of any shops or places that might have reel parts?? I know they are hard to find.
John's sporting goods in Everett has reel parts. I don't know about for spinning reels, but they had the Ambassadeur parts I needed a couple years ago. Give them a call. https://johnssportinggoods.com/

Parts and service for reels are getting harder to come by every year.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:47 pm

http://www.olliedamons.com

This is where I get most of my parts. Best if you know the part number though
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Why not use the recommended supplier on the Abu website? I've used eReplacementParts for this same reason, lost my magnetic brake knob and re-ordered it through these guys. Wasn't excited about the prices (I think my knob was like $8 + $8 S&H) but it was the right one.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/abu-ga ... 87196.html
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Spokey9 speaks the truth! Olliedamons in Portland is awesome!

mymannin
Petty Officer

Post by mymannin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 am

OllieDamon was the trick!! thanks guys! Great shop and got what I needed and delivered for $7. Can't beat that! thanks again

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:40 am

Just sent Ollie 5 reels! Going to pick them up in person. Looking forward to seeing the place.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm hoping to get into their shop this winter. Done a lot of business with Ollie's over the years but never been there lol. Then again, my idea of tourism is visiting interesting or small tackle shops.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 pm

spokey9 wrote:I'm hoping to get into their shop this winter. Done a lot of business with Ollie's over the years but never been there lol. Then again, my idea of tourism is visiting interesting or small tackle shops.
I totally agree! Then you need to visit a little antique store in Langley/whidbey Island. Right on the main street.
Place has all kinds of very old reels/tackle.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:02 pm

I better give you the update as I found out the hard way back in July. John's Sporting Goods in Everett no longer carries reel parts. No reason was given so I had to go the manufacturers site and get the parts that way.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 am

Gonefishing wrote:I better give you the update as I found out the hard way back in July. John's Sporting Goods in Everett no longer carries reel parts. No reason was given so I had to go the manufacturers site and get the parts that way.
Wow, the trend continues. I guess I'll have to go north of the border from now on.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:25 am

Sad but true part was. When I arrived I asked the person behind the counter "So.... uh..... how's business?"
Person behind the counter says something like "We are getting killed by the online stores."
Me: "Good thing I'm here then."
Person behind Counter: "So how can I help you?"
Me: "I need reel parts for my Shimano Calcutta 400B.." I pull my list out and
Person behind counter: says "We don't carry reel parts anymore..."
Me: "Since when?"
Person behind Counter: "About 2 years....."
Me: "Where am I going to get parts then?"
Person behind Counter: "Online...."
Me: lots of cuss words forming in my head... "Grrrrr OK but I need the parts now not a week from now."
Person behind: "Sorry I don't know what to say but we could sell you another reel"

I need a third reel like I need a hole in my head and the odds are I'm going to lose the cap/spring/spacers I lost again and/or trash the handle on it as well. I did buy some other stuff since I was their and they asked if I where I came from... I said Lynnwood.... but I came directly from Downtown Seattle if that really mattered. And yeah I could have called first but.

John was off talking with some older gentlemen about fishing the sound .....

Obviously not the first time that bomb went off on me recently but...

I usually try small local first, then huge conglomerate, then online as last result. So in my case for fishing stuff it's Ted Sporting Goods, maybe Ed's Surplus as backup, then up north to Johns, and when that blows up in my face Cabella's, unless I want to deal with downtown Seattle traffic I'll go to Outdoor Emporium.

I honestly got it they have a business to run but not carrying reel parts and your listed as a Warranty Support location for the brand of reel I needed parts for ](*,) That's like Nordstrums having a shoe sale and the sales person saying we don't carry shoes in store anymore.... [blink]

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:32 am

I think I've been to that shop quad. I've poked around Whidbey quite a bit last year lol. Found a couple good thrift stores that had some neat tackle on Whidbey too. The antique mall in Port orchard (it's in the main strip mall I believe) has a booth stuffed with vintage and newer gear as well. It's worth a stop if in the area.

Ed's is a cool store. I picked up a rod and reel I had when I was kid last time I was there. I really lke the used lure rack they got. I've got a lot of plugs & spoons off if it for cheap over the past couple years.