No more Pinks, so Coho... River help?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
azfishernpnw
Angler

No more Pinks, so Coho... River help?

Post by azfishernpnw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:00 am

Hello, I was wondering if anyone was gracious enough to point me in the right direction. I have done my research for equipment, and techniques, I will be taking 2 buddies out to teach them the addiction of fishing. Sunday is the day, I normally have been fishing the Snoho River, but am told its closed. Two questions, 1 if we fishing and targeting coho there and catch a pink, and we release it, i'm assuming there is no fine? 2, Is there an area one could recommend that has a lot of room to access on a bank for newbies? I would hate to intrude on those who are not beginners. I live in North Seattle, any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks And here is a pic of my two best fish this year.
Attachments
21764949_1594842807243588_6848642302085732407_n.jpg
21751762_1597823190278883_7833759515519528151_n.jpg

riverhunter
Commander

Re: No more Pinks, so Coho... River help?

Post by riverhunter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 am

Answer for question 1 is no you will not get a fine if you release it. Just make sure you don't take it out of the water as that can get you a fine. Second is I recommend using google maps. Find a spot that looks like it has downed trees, look for turns in the river as those spots usually have riffles and back eddies where fish will tend to hold for a bit before trekking up river

azfishernpnw
Angler

Post by azfishernpnw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:34 am

Awesome, thanks a ton for that info. Very helpful, especially due to the fine information. Thank you!

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:50 am

Lower river that is tidally influenced, during the incoming tide fish generally are pushing in and moving. Just about anywhere that stretch can be good. When the water level drops and the water is moving out, the fish can hold and rest in areas described above. Lots of access along Lowell road and downtown Snohomish.

I'd focus on the lower river for another few weeks, Thomas eddy and lower until more fish come in. Just my opinion on that point.

You are fine if you catch a pink and release it, just keep it in the water.
Last edited by JoshH on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azfishernpnw
Angler

Post by azfishernpnw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Thank you Josh! Very helpful!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:46 am

I 2nd what riverhunter has to say about logs. Another point Id like to mention is to try to focus on smaller pockets, i have better success fishing small 6 ft deep little troughs than i do in giant 15ft deep pools. You'll see coho surfacing all over the river, but you can count on them beimg stacked up near logs. Its alot easier to fish over 6 feet deep water than it is in 15 feet deep water and therefor will result in more hook ups. Twiching jigs and roe under a float will be your best techniques. Black. Purple and blue and variations of those colors will be best. The mid-upper portion of the snohomish is where i would fish from shore. If i had a boat i'd troll plugs through the estuary and again twitch jigs near logs and pilings.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.