moses lake walleye

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tanner214
Angler

moses lake walleye

Post by tanner214 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:27 am

Hey guys, ive been reading reports for moses lake and they all say fished north end or headed north. I have very limited knowlage of moses so i was just wondering where they were are talking about. not looking for exact locations or any thing just want to catch a few walleye and possibly some perch with my son. I have fished up at connelly park a few years back, fished around blue heron park, and fished over by the montlake boat ramp those are the only spots i have fished. I have a small boat with a 7.5 horse motor so i havent done much exploring. Well any info would be appreciated, again not trying to take anybodys spot, just need to catch a few fish!!!! Thanks.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Re: moses lake walleye

Post by DavidA » Thu May 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Hey there Tanner. I'm headed to Moses Lake myself May 20-23, from west of the Seattle area. I've fished Moses lake maybe 5 times, total and when I was there last month, while launching from Connally, was told the same thing. Asking for more specifics, I was told to head west from the launch, to past where the lake curves north. I was told that I would see all the boats once I got in the right area. When I got there I saw maybe a dozen boats all in the same general area, so not hard to locate at all. The problem was, few were catching anything though this was where it had been hot a day or two before. In maybe 2+hours I caught 1 nice 16". My friend had had enough so I drove him back to the launch. Then, to try something different, I started trolling just south of the launch and it was on! I caught 5 more in maybe 90 minutes, all between 16" and 25". Let me know when you're headed there. Maybe we could exchange updates if it is the same weekend. I too wouldn't mind stumbling into a few perch! Good Luck!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri May 13, 2016 7:28 am

you two need any Moses Lake info send me a PM. I get out fairly often but am not in the same league as Lonnie. Once it switches to "post-spawn" conditions I usually catch fish.

oly1
Petty Officer

Post by oly1 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:35 am

Headed over myself this weekend and had a different question. I am going to be picking up my son and heading to Cascade Park for a camping/walleye trip and apparently it is under construction and first come first serve? Anyone been over there and have a report on what I might expect? Thanks for any help. Bob

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue May 17, 2016 4:47 pm

just to let you know it's not "lights out" for all the walleye fishermen. I've been out 7 times so far and the closest I've come is today I had most of my worm stripped off the hook. I am not used to being skunked, or being skunked so many times in a row.

Next trip should be Friday on the Potholes for a change of scenery.

tanner214
Angler

Post by tanner214 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:19 pm

hey guys, thanks for all the info. I am still tring to learn this darn lake. got to go out on fathers day slow, slow. launched boat at blue haren park headed up the lake towards conelly park thought i would start out pulling crank baits in 8-15 fow. nothing ..... saw a little rock point on left hand side of lake past the island threw a jig for a few minutes caught a nice smallie and one nice 17" walleye. started trolling up by conelly park nothing at all no one catching anything.....so fished back to launch pulling slow death and smile blades nothing....went to a little spot over behind the state patrol office my wife and i were throwing jigs again she got another walleye about 24" she had blast with that her biggest ever.want to go back but dont know ???? but any ways thanks for all your help and still open to suggestions ! tight lines every one!!!

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Tanner: Thanks for the update. That sounds quite discouraging, though catching a 24" walleye would be a blast and 17" is nothing to sneeze at! Given the time investment that it is for me, I'm 'not sure', either. A friend said he might go this weekend, which always gets the adrenaline going, but will it be that slow again. To be fair, he is thinking nearby Banks Lake, which, though of limited reports, seems to be consistent, if not red hot. As the song queries: "Should I stay or should I go?"

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:54 pm

If you opt on Banks, figure on fishing early in the day. For us it seems to shut off around noon.

And for a Wednesday report. Fishing slow. Trolled cranks with minimal luck. Some strikes, one landed. Nearby fisherman said 25 feet and light bites was what he was experiencing. We fished mainly the million dollar mile stretch and later moved down to the highway side of goose island. There was no bite by that time. We started at 8:30.

I've seen the earlier reports of excellent fishing and should have run up earlier. Based on last years results I would say we experienced an "off day".

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi Bill W, We live in Coulee City now and fish Banks often. We have been catching limits thru out the day,( my wife is not an early day type person) we have been doing very well on slow death smiley blade combo with a night crawler. We have been finding our best fishing between 35' and 45' on the opposite side of the lake from the highway . We are doing far better now then we did last month so I don't think the bite is slowing down the fish are just in different places. We have tried Moses lake a few times this month with out much luck but then I have never seen as many people walleye fishing from Connolly park as I have this year. One day we watched one guide take out three different batches of customers and catch fish constantly, that was 12 people equaling 96 fish just for one boat for that one day. Good luck and maybe we will meet on the water someday.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:59 pm

hewesbob wrote:Hi Bill W, We live in Coulee City now and fish Banks often. We have been catching limits thru out the day,( my wife is not an early day type person) we have been doing very well on slow death smiley blade combo with a night crawler. We have been finding our best fishing between 35' and 45' on the opposite side of the lake from the highway . We are doing far better now then we did last month so I don't think the bite is slowing down the fish are just in different places. We have tried Moses lake a few times this month with out much luck but then I have never seen as many people walleye fishing from Connolly park as I have this year. One day we watched one guide take out three different batches of customers and catch fish constantly, that was 12 people equaling 96 fish just for one boat for that one day. Good luck and maybe we will meet on the water someday.
Bob,

How about one day next week we schedule a two boat trip. I'll follow along in mine and match what you are doing. It sounds like we were too shallow for fish this year. Last year these tactics worked good for us. If you want, send me your phone number in a PM.

Bill

cumminsbassguy
Petty Officer

Post by cumminsbassguy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:35 pm

I went shore fishing beginning of may (little ways away). And after 30 minutes we started hooking walleye quite often throwing rapalas and jerkbaits and soaking worms