Question about barbless hooks/selective gear rules

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Question about barbless hooks/selective gear rules

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:05 pm

This is probably a no brainer question but I don't ever fish waters with these rules, however, I'm heading out in 2 weeks and checking out a lake that has these rules. Can I simply crimp down the barb? or do I need to just purchase barbless hooks? I suppose it might not be a big deal but I'd hate to "think" I'm doing the right thing, only to end up with some type of violation.

Thanks
KB

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Question about barbless hooks/selective gear rules

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Kevin, never hurts to have all your rules covered..
You do not need to buy 'barbless hooks' Yes, just crimp them down. A good test is to run the crimped barb over your thumb nail to see if it is truly crimped down. As for the rest of the 'bait-less' portion of the rule... no bait includes, no scent at all, that would include bass baits that are infused with scent, etc. Just keep it all stripped down. [thumbup]

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Question about barbless hooks/selective gear rules

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:25 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Kevin, never hurts to have all your rules covered..
You do not need to buy 'barbless hooks' Yes, just crimp them down. A good test is to run the crimped barb over your thumb nail to see if it is truly crimped down. As for the rest of the 'bait-less' portion of the rule... no bait includes, no scent at all, that would include bass baits that are infused with scent, etc. Just keep it all stripped down. [thumbup]
Thank you Quad! Just wasn't sure and didn't want to leave myself open to any potential problems. Trying my hand at some trout. No, I haven't given up on muskies...just checking a new lake. (Coldwater Lake at Mount Saint Helens to be exact.)
Thank you!