Kellogg lake in sultan

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Jvankovsky
Angler

Kellogg lake in sultan

Post by Jvankovsky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:12 am

i live in the general area and became curious about this lake.. I walked around it a little bit this morning. Is it a lake that you can wade into? Or is it boat only for the best best? Also what would be a decent boat on the lake? 12'?

Thanks for all he help

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Kellogg lake in sultan

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:16 pm

I used to fish it a bit, 3-4 years ago.
There is an upper and lower section, split by a beaver dam. You can launch at tje lower section. It is a rough launch, just shoreline, best suited for a car topper, kayak, raft, or float tube. Anything two dudes can carry 40-50'

The lower lake is very shallow, but full of panfish, small bass (largemouth) etc. it's like fishing in the South Lousianna swamp, down trees and moss everywhere.

Make your way to the beava dam, and slide your boat into the upper lake. It is more legit, (deeper) trout looking water.
I never really caught large fish here, but it is still a cool place due to the prolific numbers of fish.

Tenbears67
Angler

Post by Tenbears67 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:34 pm

I fished it last weekend and loved it!! Caught a baby bass
,but seen some jumpers. Was using a jig and also worms. I have never fished bass or crappie before, so not really sure where is best on the lake. Spoke to an older timer and he said that back in the day they would go to the beach side and catch crappie all day. Not sure which is the beach side since it’s all pretty much brush all the way around. Was wondering if there are crawdads and or if anyone had ever tried to catch them? I’ve bought more hogs and will take some Rapalas. I went to both the left and over the beaver damn and to the right. Any info would be fabulous. Love fishing and just got a kayak so I’m raring to go!
Thanks in advance,
Denise

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:36 pm

In my experience it is mostly stunted Largemouth. I’ve never caught anything over 1.5 lb. it is a Great Lake though, in my opinion. Has a ton if fish. You will have a good time.

bearforceone
Angler

Post by bearforceone » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Is this an option for bank / shore fishing or does the brush preclude that?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Definitely not bank/shore fishing... unless someone knows something I don’t. It is SUPER Jungle like. If you know the Achafalaia basin in Louisiana, this is it.

jdp53
Petty Officer

Post by jdp53 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 am

I used to live in Sultan and tried to fish from the bank one time, lots of bugs but also you will be very confined as the bank access is limited to the boat put in area which is narrow. Didn't catch anything and never went back as I didn't have a boat suitable for that lake but if I did I am sure I would have fished it more.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:47 pm

jdp53 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 am
I used to live in Sultan and tried to fish from the bank one time, lots of bugs but also you will be very confined as the bank access is limited to the boat put in area which is narrow. Didn't catch anything and never went back as I didn't have a boat suitable for that lake but if I did I am sure I would have fished it more.
Yeah, the boat ‘Launch’ if you can even call it that, is not desirable to fish. It’s only about 3-4” deep, skanky. If anybody is reading this and curious about the lake, definitely hit it with either a canoe, kayak, or float tube, etc. it is just a magical place. Like a vast swamp, on the lower lake. The upper lake is more traditional.