power trim won't raise motor

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

power trim won't raise motor

Post by Toni » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:40 pm

My power trim worked last night but this morning at the lake it made noise like it was raising but nothing happened. I came home and then checked the fluid. It had fluid but won't raise or lower.
Any ideas?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Re: power trim won't raise motor

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:09 pm

yamaha?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:yamaha?
1988 Mariner

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm not an expert but you may be low on fluid.

Here's a you tube video that might give more tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woVT4czk6ao" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:18 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I'm not an expert but you may be low on fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woVT4czk6ao" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It had fluid but won't raise or lower." Meaning it isn't low on fluid. I also use Mercury fluid.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:03 am

Toni, is the pump running or just clicking noise? Most of the time when pumps go bad there are now warnings. You might have to remove the pump and test and inspect it. If you have a click noise it could be a loose wire, bad ground or blown relay. When I had to do mine it was just the pump on a Force motor I had. These Mariner's use the same type of system.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:10 am

Toni wrote:
zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I'm not an expert but you may be low on fluid.

"It had fluid but won't raise or lower." Meaning it isn't low on fluid. I also use Mercury fluid.
I was looking too hard for a power trim video on Mariner outboards and forgot you mentioned the fluid levels were ok.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 am

Took it in today and it was concluded it was the pump. Which they don't make any more. Chinese ones but Phil's won't put them on and I might have to replace it in 2 years.
Used one installed $800.00
Like new motor 3 month warranty 50 horse $2800 [scared]

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:34 am

Check on line a lot cheaper. They are not that hard to replace...

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:47 am

stryker17 wrote:Check on line a lot cheaper. They are not that hard to replace...
I did check online and they aren't that easy. Then to put it on my motor it has to be taken off.
lots of motors but I need the pump.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:29 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilt-Trim-Motor ... hS&vxp=mtr

$150 and four bolts and a little hydraulic oil and you're in business. The thing on the end of the motor is the Hyd pump/valve body. I'm sure we could find you some help if needed. But it's best to take the old one off to make sure you're getting the right part(s).

I'm not sure what that Mechanics problem is with a part made in China, the original was probably made there.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Cause that is what I bought before. Made in China and it lasted a couple years. The $1000 ones supposedly made in America will last longer.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Toni wrote:Cause that is what I bought before. Made in China and it lasted a couple years. The $1000 ones supposedly made in America will last longer.
Seems a bit hard for me to swallow..... regardless, $1000 / $150 = 6.6, lets say six and a half, times 2 years is 13 years of operation........ Pretty sure even the $1000 one would go south in 13 years. Just the way I look at it. And you have $850 in your pocket in case something else goes.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:56 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Toni wrote:Cause that is what I bought before. Made in China and it lasted a couple years. The $1000 ones supposedly made in America will last longer.
Seems a bit hard for me to swallow..... regardless, $1000 / $150 = 6.6, lets say six and a half, times 2 years is 13 years of operation........ Pretty sure even the $1000 one would go south in 13 years. Just the way I look at it. And you have $850 in your pocket in case something else goes.
I do see your point.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:09 pm

OK! Hunter 757 came over to look at my big motor and the power trim. As soon as he is standing next to it and says to raise it;it raises. He rubs the cowling and says "I miss you too". I kid you not. I tried it earlier in the morning and it did not work.

So we drained some of the old tranny fluid out and put more power trim fluid in.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:26 pm

Toni wrote:OK! Hunter 757 came over to look at my big motor and the power trim. As soon as he is standing next to it and says to raise it;it raises. He rubs the cowling and says "I miss you too". I kid you not. I tried it earlier in the morning and it did not work.

So we drained some of the old tranny fluid out and put more power trim fluid in.
So if that's the case, I'd go through the electrics. Clean all the contacts on the relays and motor contacts and then grease them with dielectric grease before you put them together. If you just want to get a little bit, you can get a little packet of "headlight grease" The grease keeps them from corroding.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Toni wrote:OK! Hunter 757 came over to look at my big motor and the power trim. As soon as he is standing next to it and says to raise it;it raises. He rubs the cowling and says "I miss you too". I kid you not. I tried it earlier in the morning and it did not work.

So if that's the case, I'd go through the electrics. Clean all the contacts on the relays and motor contacts and then grease them with dielectric grease before you put them together. If you just want to get a little bit, you can get a little packet of "headlight grease" The grease keeps them from corroding.
I don't understand the connection to the electronics?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Toni wrote:
Bodofish wrote:

I don't understand the connection to the electronics?
Ok so quick and dirty....
Switch - Buttons on the side of the OB and or the throttle shifter for making the motor go up and down.
Relay - A Big switch that converts a low voltage / amperage signal to high voltage / amperage to operate a device In this case the Trim Tilt motor.
Motor - Hi Amperage device that converts electric power to kinetic power (mechanical)
Voltage can be thought of as electrical pressure, how hard it can push.
Amperage can be though of as the speed the electricity moves.

First we have the control circuit, it uses the switches to turn on and off a little dc power from the battery and opens and closes the relays that are switches too but they handle the high amperage power that runs the motor. if they tried to run full power from the battery through the little switches and to the motor it would need to be a really big wire like a battery cable, not really a good idea so they keep the big wires short by using relays. Now the control circuit will have connectors where it hooks up to the OB probably a big single connector with a bunch of pins. That one is probably OK but under the cowling there are two relays, probably little square/rectangle-ish guys that either have a connector or 4 screw posts to connect the wires Clean up all the connections and give them a little grease then look for the motor connector down by the trim and tilt unit and do the same thing.
I think this youtube is around the right vintage for your motor, they used the same stuff from 85 to the mid 90's So this should make it pretty easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzr2sixN3Jg
If you want to get real spiffy on them you can use a little brake or electrical contact cleaner from the auto parts store. It's pretty nasty stuff so wear gloves and don't breath it. Or maybe a some of that liquid silverware cleaner, not the abrasive kind but the stuff you just need to dip it in, just use a Q-Tip or something like that to clean with and rinse with water really good. I know your eyes are probably glazing over now but it's really pretty easy. Watch the video and the light bulb will go off. If I was a little closer, I'd come over and do it for you.
Pull apart the connectors, clean 'em up, a little grease and push them back together. The intermittent stuff is normally caused by bad electrical connections. If you can make a lure, you can clean an electrical connection / connector.
Watch the video, look for the relays, take a picture or two or three post em up and ask some questions.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Thank you for all that Bodofish. I watched the video and while I think that motor is much newer I get the idea and would have to apply it to mine.

There isn't a electrical problem. The trim motor was working fine. It was the pump that wasn't. By releasing the little bit of fluid it might have dislodged gunk or Hunter757 thinks it might be the plastic from the original manual release screw that broke off inside. He drained the pump reservoir and then refilled it with power trim fluid at the fill reservoir. (it had auto transmission in it before) While I flipped the up- down switch, which on my motor, is only on the remote start throttle by the steering wheel.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:12 pm

If its got a little piece of plastic floating around in there, it could certainly be clogging up the valve body. They're kind of strange in that they're controlled by the direction the fluid is pumped. Sooo the motor gets pumped up and the decent is controlled by pumping the fluid down. When the fluid gets pushed one way a set of valves is triggered and when it goes the other way the other set gets triggered. It's really a very sophisticated little valve body and they don't take much to bugger them up. I've fixed a lot of hydraulics and I can tell you I've taken a trim and tilt valve body apart exactly once and I bought a reconditioned unit to replace it. Hopefully you got the little piece out and it's stays happy. It's good to be out boating :cheers: