Leaking rivets

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Leaking rivets

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:54 am

I have had my Lund since it was new in 2007.
It is a rivited hull. Boat has been excellent for me in all functions. Now at 10 years it is taking on water, I expect it is weakening rivets.
I cannot find any loose rivets upon inspection, so minor loose rivets, but still this means the transom end of boat has water above the floor line after a full day of boating.

My question is, I am at a crossroads in terms of of this gives me a good excuse to seek a new boat. [-o<
But I'd like to know how difficult or what procedure has to happen for the bad rivets to be found and fixed? I don't want to do it myself, no matter how easy. Is it costly, and is it the befinning of chasing more rivets?

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Leaking rivets

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 pm

I would start by pulling the boat out on the trailer, then put some water in and see if you can spot the leak(s). It may be your drain plug or a thru hull fitting.

Once you see where its coming from, then make a decision and or get some quotes.

On the other hand, if your ready for a new boat, list that one on CL and go shopping :)

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Plus one on Larry's advice. Pull the boat and fill with water look for leaks and go from there. That much water after one day? You have a major leak, check your plug and anything that has been bolted thru your hull. Should be an easy find with that much water coming in.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 am

Agree with suggestions above. Easier to find a leak when boat is on the trailer and water in boat. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount