Trailers: Bunk v. Roller

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
kodacachers
Lieutenant

Trailers: Bunk v. Roller

Post by kodacachers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 am

Hi All,
I pulled the trigger on a new boat (hurray for me). The dealer will be providing the trailer and is recommending an EZ loader roller. I've always had bunk trailers so I'd appreciate your advice. Boat is a 23 foot fiberglass walkaround. Fully loaded it'll be around 6300 pounds. I looked at other forums and the east coast guys love bunks for any size boat except those who launch in shallow water. Around here I've only had a problem at really low tide at Everett, otherwise never had an issue dunking the trailer deep enough. (And I'm still remembering a guy in Edmonds who took the bow strap off his roller trailer too soon!).
Appreciate your views. Thanks.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Re: Trailers: Bunk v. Roller

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:08 am

I've changed both of my trailers to roller. Having to launch by my self it's so much easier. Just my 2cents.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 am

Bunks are what I'm used to... 3rd year of using a roller trailer, I still don't like it. All of my ownership experience has been with 1000-2000 lb boats though. With the small boats, I like to untether the boat and back in to float it off of the trailer, pull forwards slowly to pull the boat in by the bow rope that is tied off to the truck and gently beach the boat ..... none of which probably applies to a 6000 lb boat! I have to get wet in so many places that I didn't have to with the bunks.

I can see the positives of rollers with a boat that size, but a bunk trailer that is properly set up can work great too. I have repositioned many bunks and rollers for friends boats that were never set-up properly when new. Asking for them to keep the boat as low as possible on the trailer would be a huge help which ever way you go. (dont have back in as far)

Congrats on the new boat!
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:04 am

I'd go with bunks unless you're loading/unloading frequently in areas where roller would be beneficial.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:46 am

I much prefer the bunks for my new boat vrs. the rollers I had on my old boat. Removing is no issues even in shallow launches (although I do have to get the truck wheels wet, think Lake Cavanaugh launch). Driving on for retrieval is a breeze!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

downriggeral
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by downriggeral » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:59 pm

I switched my 18' StarCraft aluminum from a roller to bunk trailer last fall. I think each trailer has advantages but I like power loading the bunk trailer. An electric winch is a HUGE help on the roller trailer. By the way I have a 18' EZ loader trailer with rollers and LED lights for sale $500
iFishSolutions is your supplier for the iTroll Precission Kicker Speed Control and electric kicker steering all operated from the iTroll controller. We also have fishing autopilot systems available utilizing modern technology!

http://ifishsolutions.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:19 pm

downriggeral wrote:I switched my 18' StarCraft aluminum from a roller to bunk trailer last fall. I think each trailer has advantages but I like power loading the bunk trailer. An electric winch is a HUGE help on the roller trailer. By the way I have a 18' EZ loader trailer with rollers and LED lights for sale $500

What aspect of the bunks do you find easier to power load? Is it the "stick" of the bunks? I certainly haven't mastered the loading or unloading of the roller....

Ive been thinking about some kind of automatic bow latch for the trailer, does anything like that even exist?
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:23 pm

I'll jump in on this. Having driven on both rollers and bunks, bunks are IMO far easier. I have mine half out of the water and the boat centers itself very nicely, then just "power" (slowly accelerate) up the rest of the way. My trailer does have centering side rails. Once you're on, you're on. You can throttle back and come forward and secure your chains. With rollers you have to keep applying throttle. If you let up you'll roll back.
I do my whole retrieval by myself in no time at all .

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm

I power on with my roller trailers and never get my feet wet. I have a remote power winch that I poll out the cable before I put the trailer in the water. After I power on I leave the motor in gear to hold the boat. I go up to the bow attach the hook, take out the slack , shut down the motor, tilt it up and then finish winching on to the trailer, hook on the safety chain then in to the truck and drive clear of the ramp.

downriggeral
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by downriggeral » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Sideburns wrote:
downriggeral wrote:I switched my 18' StarCraft aluminum from a roller to bunk trailer last fall. I think each trailer has advantages but I like power loading the bunk trailer. An electric winch is a HUGE help on the roller trailer. By the way I have a 18' EZ loader trailer with rollers and LED lights for sale $500

What aspect of the bunks do you find easier to power load? Is it the "stick" of the bunks? I certainly haven't mastered the loading or unloading of the roller....

Ive been thinking about some kind of automatic bow latch for the trailer, does anything like that even exist?
I found the boat needed to be winched up on the roller trailer to go on straight. The power winch can certainly do this as 18 ft Trophy has said.
iFishSolutions is your supplier for the iTroll Precission Kicker Speed Control and electric kicker steering all operated from the iTroll controller. We also have fishing autopilot systems available utilizing modern technology!

http://ifishsolutions.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:41 am

I have an 18' North River Seahawk. Its my 5th trailer boat and all have been bunks. There is something about the covering they put over the bunks these days. The hull just seems to slide easier. I get the boat about halfway up the trailer to where it is mostly out of the water. The rest of the way it is very easy to hand winch it and I'm 74. It is a lot easier than my prior glass boats which were obviously heavier. Always centers nicely. I've never considered rollers.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Aluminum boats slide on bunks easily but not Glass boats. It's hard to compare the two.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:42 am

I've had both and prefer bunks.

Rollers do wear out over time, and if gone unnoticed can wreak havoc on the bottom of your boat when being trailered.

I myself have been fortunate, but having looked at hundreds of boats over the years, it is one of the things I check for when considering one for purchase, and I've seen plenty of messed up bottoms and hulls from rollers gone bad.

onmygame

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Bunks with "slicks" slide just as easily as rollers and they dont have bearings to rust up or jamb or break off. Also rollers will leave dents in your fiberglass hull over time.