Sous Vide fish

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
FishFaceNick
Angler

Sous Vide fish

Post by FishFaceNick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:14 am

Recently purchased an Anova sous vide immersion cooker, and am really excited to try it out with some fish! Has anyone tried cooking any of their catches in this manner? If so, which fish have you used and how did they turn out? Any suggestions on times and temperatures would be greatly appreciated!
FishFaceNick
Fishing Enthusiast
http://fishingseasons.org/

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Re: Sous Vide fish

Post by Fishin'Daze » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:42 pm

FishFaceNick
Could you describe this type of cooker - never heard of it before. Interested to hear about it.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Looks interesting.

https://anovaculinary.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:56 pm

What it is in a nutshell:
Restaurants use a water bath (in a vacuum bag) at a set 'lower' temp then pull whatever (usually meat) it is and finish it on a grill or hot plate to customer specifications. You can have it in the bath for a long period of time at the low temp (I used 132*) without it ever being overdone. It just sits in its own juice at 'rare' for hours. Saves a lot of time. The temp is usually controlled and held within a degree. You can't hold it too low or bacteria will start to grow. [blink]
While I have done it at home it is really only useful if you are prepping a bunch of, say burgers or steaks or fish for a larger group. You set it up hours in advance then it takes a very short amount of time to finish.
It kind of became a 'thing' but a lot of people decide it is not worth the effort unless they are feeding a large crowd.
I should add it works like slow cooking in that it breaks down the collagen in the meat and can (should) make it very tender. You can put spices in the bag with the meat but if you are finishing it on a grill it works good to spice it just before searing it. Unless you toss it on a grill or hot plate it will not have any browning on the outside. :salut:

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 am

Wow! Excellent description of how it works. None of those things had occurred to me while looking at that web page.

Thanks!

It sounds cool, but I think I would soon be in the "too much trouble" camp.

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks Trackerpro16 for the great description. It sounds best suited for larger amounts. Always interested in learning new info.

Fishhho
Angler

Post by Fishhho » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:25 pm

wow that's great