looking for advice crabbing hood canal

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Sideburns
Commander

looking for advice crabbing hood canal

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Heading out to quilcene with familly, and a couple boats. will be crabbing the north end of hood canal 2-27 and 2-28. wdfw extended the season due to the apearant surplus of crab in hood canal, "especially in the north end". Havent been crabbing in many years. Any pointers on depth to set pots, areas of the canal to fish or what bait to use would be greatly apreciated.
Im planning to use freezer burnt squid, perch and trout to mix into our chicken for bait.

-Thanks
-sideburns
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: looking for advice crabbing hood canal

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:09 am

I used to spend some time fishing the canal, and the one thing that I recall, is to be aware of the strength of the current in there. Make sure your pots have enough weight in them, or they may take a ride.

Sideburns
Commander

Re: looking for advice crabbing hood canal

Post by Sideburns » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:46 pm

we nearly limited on dungeness, both of the last two days of the season. feb 27-28. mixture of chicken, squid and misc fish about 65 feet deep shelf was where we found lots of big males for our cooler. almost lost pots sunday. 2 foot+ wind driven swell and chop was pretty rough, and mechanical main engine problems on my uncle's boat.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"