Crabbing Limits

Our hardshelled friends found here.
FishingTheSound
Angler

Crabbing Limits

Post by FishingTheSound » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:01 pm

Hey guys, my dad thinks that the crabbing limits is 5 dungenous with 1 additional rock crab, but i have showed and tried to prove to him that it is 5 dungenous and 6 red rockers to make a total of 11 crab. He told me to make this post to for you guys to "proove him right"..... Whos right?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Crabbing Limits

Post by Amx » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:07 pm

The rule book DOESN'T say that it is a COMBINED limit. Therefore I'd say you can keep 5 Duns in Puget Sound, and 6 Reds everywhere.
Tom.

Interests: living

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Amx wrote:The rule book DOESN'T say that it is a COMBINED limit. Therefore I'd say you can keep 5 Duns in Puget Sound, and 6 Reds everywhere.
That's the fact Jack!

I've had my limit five Dungies checked along with a full limit of 6 Redrock's at the same time.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Seems pretty clear to me.
Dungeness and Red Rock Crab Daily Limits and Rules:
Puget Sound has a daily limit of 5 Dungeness Crab, 6¼" minimum size, males only, and in hardshell condition.
Columbia River has a daily limit of 12 Dungeness Crab, 5¾" minimum size, males only, and in hardshell condition.
Pacific Ocean has a daily limit of 6 Dungeness Crab, 6" minimum size, males only, and in hardshell condition.
All Areas have a daily limit of 6 Red Rock Crab, 5" minimum size, of either sex.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:31 am

I've always understood it to be separate limits. Meaning in PS I could keep 5 legal Dungie and 6 legal Reds in a day.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:58 pm

I agree: the limit is 5 Dungeness males PLUS 6 Red Rock, either sex. I won't keep Red Rock females, but that's a personal choice. Each species has a separate minimum size that needs to be observed.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:57 am

Always be aware that it is important to note where exactly you are harvesting either fish (or crab). Some people might think that there is just one rule that covers a single thing, like crab, there can be subtle differences in a reg. based on location.
I haven't read this years crab regs. but typically there are differences between the coastal waters/Columbia river, and Puget Sound.
Usually the difference is a slight 1/4" in size allowed to be kept, but may also relate to # retained.