Tanner (Bairdi) Snow crab in the San Juans! HELP!

Our hardshelled friends found here.
AceII
Angler

Tanner (Bairdi) Snow crab in the San Juans! HELP!

Post by AceII » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 am

Hey guys, long time reports stalker here trying to get some help with the new crab fishery in the Juans!

It looks like WDFW decided to let us go after these bad boys after they noticed a healthy population, i've checked the regs and it reads:

Puget Sound has a daily limit of 6 Tanner Crab, 4½" minimum size, of either sex, and in hardshell condition. Measure at the widest portion of the shell

So i've found some information as far as detpth (200'-400') and that they like muddy bottoms but I CAN'T seem to find ANY information on GEAR. I need to know if my dungie pots will work or if the tunnels need to be changed???? Any help is greatly appreciated guys! Does anyone have experience going after tanners????

I crab/shrimp/fish the salt so i'm pretty familiar about the common sense stuff, especially dealing with tides/rips in the Juans and weighting your pot well but I don't have any idea if my pots will work as is :scratch:

Bassman_Pat
Angler

Re: Tanner (Bairdi) Snow crab in the San Juans! HELP!

Post by Bassman_Pat » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Honestly the only think that I know about Bairdi is ''Deadliest Catch''. I assume you would use a round pot for the tanners. Like they use for the commercial fishery for Dungies.