Revo premier gen 1 question

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
spokey9
Captain

Revo premier gen 1 question

Post by spokey9 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:09 pm

So I found a gen 1 online for $35 bucks and figured I'd jump on it. I've fished or owned most of the Revos up to gen 3 except this one and im running a gen 2 premier on my drift rod. Anybody know how a gen 1 premier stacks up against a gen 2 as far as casting? Not too concerned about the lighter drag since I run 4 - 8lb leaders most of the time on the rod I'll be putting it on.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

spokey9
Captain

Re: Revo premier gen 1 question

Post by spokey9 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:44 am

Since I got my reel now and got a chance to toss it around a bit, I figured I'd answer my own question in case anyone wants to know. The gen 1 premier uses a magnetic brake while the gen 2 has both magnetic & centrifugal braking. Distance wise, using an 1/8 and 1/2 sinkers, it's pretty much the same. The spools really wanna spin lol, so distance ain't an issue. Since I'm used to using the centrifugal braking on my gen 2 with the magnets set to zero (plus my other baitcaster are centrifugal only braking) the magnets are gonna take a bit of fine tuning and getting used to. So in my case there'll be a few extra professional overruns to deal with but nothing that'd sour me on the gen 1. Finally max drag, gen 1 is rated to about 12lbs or so while the gen 2 is over 18lbs I believe. I fish mainly for shiny fish in the rivers, so max drag isn't an issue for me. As long as I can get 8 lbs or so of smooth even drag pressure, my thumb can do the rest as needed. Thumbing the spool gives me better control on a good fish anyways imo. Both drags are extremely smooth, the gen 1 drag is a lil bit smother than my curado 200e5. The gen 2 is a bit smoother than the gen 1.

So in my opinion the gen 1 premier is a great reel, especially if since you can find them used in good condition regularly under $100. The biggest knock I've seen on it the max drag, mainly from bass fisherman, but if locking your drag down doesn't affect what you're using it for then I'd say it's more of a technique specific complaint that an issue with the reel design. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to get another next time I'm needing a good baitcaster without spending a lot.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.