ATTN ROD BUILDERS: Polyester embroidery thread for wrapping rods?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
meandermeadows
Petty Officer

ATTN ROD BUILDERS: Polyester embroidery thread for wrapping rods?

Post by meandermeadows » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Just as it says, I found a bundle of polyester embroidery thread in big spools at a secondhand store for dirt cheap. Has anyone tried wrapping guides with it? Any reason why it shoudn't work?
Fisken Morder!!!

spokey9
Captain

Re: ATTN ROD BUILDERS: Polyester embroidery thread for wrapping rods?

Post by spokey9 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't see why it won't. My grandpa used to use dental floss for emergency guide repair while out in the boat. Not sure about long term durability though.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Figure whatever glue or epoxy nor resin you use will seal it from most everything except sunlight and your poles don't stay in the sun for 24 hours a day,,, well, I hope not! I have used a number of different thread over the years. May be using some of the sewing room thread again soon to fix one of my poles.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks for your replies guys. I found some similar threads on other forums that all suggested the same thing: nylon and polyester should both work, and that many people use poly and nylon sewing threads because there is a wider array of colors.

I have a bunch of broken rods that I bought to scavenge parts off of, and I am going to take a couple of the better butt ends and make ice fishing rods for myself and my friends. I think I will redo the wraps with those threads and see how it works. I will let you know how they come out :)
Fisken Morder!!!