Virgin Fly Tyer-

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Walleye Be Damn
Petty Officer

Virgin Fly Tyer-

Post by Walleye Be Damn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:10 am

Hello, I am a virgin newbee when it come to fly tying, I just started learning this week. I am mostly interested in tying jigs and trolling flies for walleye and smallmouth bass. I need to know what size chenille would be a good size for my application? I have watched a lot of you tube videos on tying trolling flies, but nothing really gives a size for the chenille. Any tips would be appreciated.
Proud to have served: Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Virgin Fly Tyer-

Post by Amx » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:19 am

If you throw your loop around the left front leg you can control the fly better as it'll just fly into the water, or you can hog tie it easier for future fishing. If your loop ends up on the right rear leg then you can play with the fly like a kite, mucho fun, but hard to get the fly to the water for the fish to eat. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 am

Chenille size is determined by the size of the hook. One wouldn't want lg for a size 12 hook. Nor would small chenille be used for size 2 hook.
If buying online different companies can use different sizing. At first it is best to go somewhere you can see it and the different sizes.

Remember the sizing of hooks small has the larger number.

The same thing for thread. Thicker thread can be pulled harder (bigger jigs) thinner for small flies. This is where I have the most problems...I can never remember the sizes...which is thicker=stronger 3/0 or 6/0? [blink]
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Walleye Be Damn
Petty Officer

Post by Walleye Be Damn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:34 am

I will be using 2/0 size hooks for the bass and walleye trolling flies and jigs.
Proud to have served: Desert Shield/Desert Storm

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:20 am

Walleye Be Damn wrote:Hello, I am a virgin newbee when it come to fly tying, I just started learning this week. I am mostly interested in tying jigs and trolling flies for walleye and smallmouth bass. I need to know what size chenille would be a good size for my application? I have watched a lot of you tube videos on tying trolling flies, but nothing really gives a size for the chenille. Any tips would be appreciated.
Pat, I'm a fly tyer and if you want tips and info on material come on over to my part of Moses Lake.