Cheeky Chub/Pass Lake Chub

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Cheeky Chub/Pass Lake Chub

Post by Ian Horning » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:40 pm

Here's a really simple baitfish pattern called the Cheeky Chub. It is named appropriately for being first used as a pattern imitating the fathead chubs in Pass Lake, and developed while I was recovering from a wisdom teeth operation, during which I looked like a squirrel stuffed full of peanuts.

"The Cheeky Chub is a small baitfish pattern that excels in fishing shallow water and with quick retrieves. Being unweighted, the full benefit of the Rabbit-Strip wing is utilized. The Natural buoyancy of the rabbit causes the fly to sink very slowly and dart erratically when stripped, and the unparalleled underwater pulsation and movement of rabbit fur combined with the right amount of flash creates a pattern that aggressive trout lock on to."

During its initial test, it proved its worth in my tackle box. It drew vicious hits from both Browns and Rainbows, which chased it all the way to the boat even in bright, sunny water. I fished it with short, rapid 3-4 inch strips (2-3 per second).
IMG_2353 (1).jpg

Materials:
Wing: Rabbit Strip + a couple strips of Angel Hair Flash, Olive Gold
Tail: White Baitfish Emulator
Interior: Tinsel wrapped around hook shank
Belly: White Baitfish Emulator
Hook: Size 6; Pinch barbs where required (and just because)
Adding eyes on the front would look really good too.

That's it! Nothing Fancy. Knock 'em dead y'all.

Ian
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Cheeky Chub/Pass Lake Chub

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:13 am

Very nice! I don't tie my own, but will look to match it. Some Fall fishing at Pass sounds great.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:57 am

Those should work quite well. I've tied up some very similar ones just for Pass Lake. I was never able to hook up with any of the browns but I have played with a few of the large bows. The best part is the look they give you. You pull them up and they just lay there looking at you.... Are you done? can I go back now?........ We can play on another day, I promise.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:26 am

I spent way too much time trying to "over-develop" flies, adding a bunch of materials that added good looks but made the fly swim like a newborn elephant.

These were like Russell Wilson flies... when I drafted them, I had mixed thoughts, but when put into action, they won over the starting position in my fly box. (Now, if we can get our offensive line in check, maybe we can re-create those first couple of years)

Go Hawks

Ian
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:30 am

Ian Horning wrote:I spent way too much time trying to "over-develop" flies, adding a bunch of materials that added good looks but made the fly swim like a newborn elephant.

These were like Russell Wilson flies... when I drafted them, I had mixed thoughts, but when put into action, they won over the starting position in my fly box. (Now, if we can get our offensive line in check, maybe we can re-create those first couple of years)

Go Hawks

Ian
I'm with you on the overdeveloping of the flies. The first ones I tie are normally big and puffy and then I work them down to fight'n weight...... Slim is always better for those types of flies.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:41 pm

Of course I wasn't happy with the original product. I had to go back and make some modifications, make it more complex, etc. Well, this time I was right.
IMG_2437.jpg
20+ Trout sent their approvals after witnessing the first run.

The cheeky chub just got cheekier.

Ian

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:06 am

Nice!!! And how was the highway? I'm making it that way at the end of the week, glad to know you have them all warmed up for me. :)

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:57 am

The lake fished very well. The only problem was the "accuracy" of the fish, namely the browns. I got so many swipes, misses, even porpoises on the fly that didn't stick it was unbelievable. All streamer-type hooksets too, it was odd. I could have had a 20 fish day had I landed every bite/hookup.

Also, watch out for the little trout. Near the launch I found a horde of 5-7" fish that spanned 100 yards and they would hit every other cast.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:06 pm

That sounds about right. You won't find those little trout at the boat launch just before sunrise. The browns just work that area and push the shiners right in to the beach. I'll bet they eat little trouts as fast as shiners.

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:15 am

I caught a 12" brown off of the boat launch. He hit 6 times, including right as the fly hit the water.

Also I got my fly caught in a mess of algae, and skated it across the surface back to the boat and a fish hit it as it was engulfed in slimy green weeds. That was funny.