Looking to get started in Lingcod Bottom Fishing in the Puget Sound: What Fishing Line/Sinkers should I buy?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

Looking to get started in Lingcod Bottom Fishing in the Puget Sound: What Fishing Line/Sinkers should I buy?

Post by Speedbird 48 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 pm

My dad took me fishing with his fishing buddy almost every week as a kid. We parked our boat ten years ago and haven't been since. Last week was the first time me and him went fishing outside of yearly charter trips. I ended up catching a Rockfish I had to release, and either a super big Lingcod that broke my line, ( I tightened my tension before hooking, and I suspect it could have been too tight) or more than likely a snag. Currently I have some really big floochies and a squid, (Highly suspect they were from here http://www.squidprotackle.com/catalogue.html) and some rusted out circle hooks that I used when I went halibut fishing. I only have one cannonball weight and no idea how to fit it on a rig, a 5 oz weight, and a 6 oz weight. I have a 5'6" Daiwa rod and a Penn 113 reel. My other rods are a high end Shimano Salmon rod and reel (Not sure of the exact model), an older Shimano rod and reel, and a 7 foot longish medium weight length looking rod with a heavy spinning reel. For all intents and purposes, I am acting as if my tackle box is empty. What should I pick up? I would like to not buy a new rod or reel if possible. From what I have watched I know I should have some bucktail jigs and butterfly jigs on hand, maybe some shrimp lures, and either an imitation Sanddab or I should prepare to stock up on live Saddabs before every Ling run. The depths we fish are between 30' and 100', but I had issues getting the 6oz weight to go all the way to the bottom. What sinkers should I invest in? Does shape matter? Finally, I only have one spool of line. What fishing line should I have in my arsenal for what I am doing? Thanks in advance and I hope to get back into this wonderful hobby soon!

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Re: Looking to get started in Lingcod Bottom Fishing in the Puget Sound: What Fishing Line/Sinkers should I buy?

Post by kodacachers » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 am

Hi Speedbird,
You should check out John's site: https://johnssportinggoods.com/rigging-tackle/ I'm not sure if they are open again, but you can also stop by the store and they can set you up.

Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

Re: Looking to get started in Lingcod Bottom Fishing in the Puget Sound: What Fishing Line/Sinkers should I buy?

Post by Speedbird 48 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:10 pm

kodacachers wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 am
Hi Speedbird,
You should check out John's site: https://johnssportinggoods.com/rigging-tackle/ I'm not sure if they are open again, but you can also stop by the store and they can set you up.
Thank you so much! Absolute goldmine. Unfortunately I did not pick up any lings this year, but Johns advice was helpful

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:08 am

Someone needs to open a bait shop called Squid Pro Quo. *lol*

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:13 am

Would love to go linging in MA 8-2 but do not have a boat beyond a small heavy duty raft. I just posted the following in the Fishing Buddy section:
----------------------------------------------------------
I live in North Snoco and am looking for a responsible person with a boat to fish and crab the MA 8-2 region. Have my own crabbing and fishing gear, bait, licenses and clean background (you too). Not into drugs, drama or drinking, generally low key and a life-long love for fishing and crabbing. Early riser, weekday outings preferred. Would like to bring a friend along. No angry types or drunks. Can reasonably chip in on expenses including food and meet up at the Kayak Point park boat launch. Please PM response.