Looking for a non-federal lake to try out my inflatable sea eagle se9 with a 62lb thrust trolling motor

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
bhaswar
Angler

Looking for a non-federal lake to try out my inflatable sea eagle se9 with a 62lb thrust trolling motor

Post by bhaswar » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:33 pm

Hi, new to the group and also an owner of a sea eagle se9 inflatable boat. I also got a Newport 62lb thrust trolling electric motor and was planning to try it out this weekend. I am new to boating and was looking for some small alpine lake where I can safely learn and play with it without being a nuisance to others. I found a couple of lakes on trails offroad near Greenwater like Lonesome Lake, Coplay Lake, also Twin Lakes off Mt Baker Highway which needs a little bit of off-road driving but I am fine with that if that gives me more free area to play around. Am I even allowed to run an electric motor in these lakes within national parks, national forests, or other public lands without a boat registration? I am trying to understand the no-federal water rule but apparently, a lake being inside federal land might not be considered as federal waters, so I am getting a little confused there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Looking for a non-federal lake to try out my inflatable sea eagle se9 with a 62lb thrust trolling motor

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Don’t over think the Federal Waters thing.
That would be water that is navigable via the ocean, i.e.
lake Washington, Samammish, Columbia River,American lake I believe (even though it isn’t connected to salt)
There are VERY few waters like this. Seriously just take your Eagle SE 9 down to your neighborhood pond, and give it a spin.

Regarding the using the electric in lakes… yes, there A FEW lakes that are ‘No motors @ all’. Whether gas, electric, hamster, whatever, but these lakes are few and far between. They are fly fishing only lakes, such as Pass lake, up near Anacortes.
Yes, somebody will come on here and list a few other lakes, but seriously.. it is harder to land in a federal pond than it is to land in your local neighborhood lake, unless you live next to the ones I mentioned. And the alpine lakes, no.. no..no… that is not federal navigable water.

If you like up in Skagit/snohomisu county,you can drive into Coal lake, and catch brookies all day.
(Drive up alpine lake). 50 yards of trail from car to lake.