Kokanee / Silver Trout/land-locked sockeye

Post and find fish ID pictures/descriptions here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Matt
Admiral

Kokanee / Silver Trout/land-locked sockeye

Post by Matt » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:21 pm

The kokanee salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka), also known as the Silver Trout are found in Lakes throughout the state. They are most easily identified by their lack of spots and teeth, small tightly aligned silver scales, and large round eye. Kokanee are a landlocked form of Sockeye Salmon (they never leave freshwater) and spawn in lake tributaries before dying. Kokanee are commonly between 6-16" in length and are primarily planktonic feeders, although specimens over 5 pounds exist and are common in certain waterways including Lake Roosevelt in Washington State. In some areas, especially Eastern Washington, these fish are commonly called Silvers or Bluebacks much like their sockeye brethren in the salt.

This picture can be used for comparison to a rainbow trout. The top 3 fish are Kokanee, the bottom is a Rainbow Trout:

Kokanee in spawning colors (top = male, bottom = female)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Kokanee / Silver Trout/land-locked sockeye

Post by Toni » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:58 am

Pierce County Clear Lake Kokanee. Land locked sockeye
Attachments
kokanee_8-30-10_resize.jpg
kokanee_8-30-10_resize.jpg (195.83 KiB) Viewed 42892 times
Last edited by Toni on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:51 am

Lake Roosevelt sample...

Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:20 pm

what about landlock coho... ive heard thwey exist in some lakes WITH kokanee?
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:19 am

Not sure about coexisting landlocked coho and kokes but Riffe does have a large landlocked coho population. Don't think they have kokes.

BTW that 4+ pound Roosevelt koke is BEAUTIFUL! Wish I could eat it:)
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:09 am

are the landlock coho any bigger than kokes>?
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:14 pm

IMO the landlocked coho are typically larger than the kokes on the west side here. But there are not a lot of places carrying landlocked coho on the west side that I'm aware of. Only area I know of is the dammed up portion of the Cow (Riffe Lake).
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Riffe has coho but no kokanee. I think 'silvers' is interchanged a lot between those two species which often makes it really confusing for folks.

I've noticed the opposite with the sizes. I've seen larger kokanee than landlocked coho. But I'm sure it's all about how the lake raises the fish.

stace
Last edited by Stacie Kelsey on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Re: Kokanee / Silver Trout/land-locked sockeye

Post by Ezlivn89 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Anyone have any idea why the kok dont get too big in angle lake? they seem to all be of small size?
It wouldnt be called fishing unless you are always catching, best of luck!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:24 pm

It's mostly about food and habitat. Kokanee feed on plankton and prefer water in the 50 - 60 degree range with plenty of oxygen. Angle gets a bit warm and oxygen deprived in the warmer months and isn't all that big to host the number of fry that get planted every year. The fish out of Angle aren't all that small, not like the 6" fish you get out of the pass lakes like Kachess and Cle Elum.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Ive caught more fish using the 50/50 dodger. Its unreal all the cutties I catch using that dodger in Lk Wa. Salmon in the sound also. Something about that brass/silver mix.

obryan214
Commander

Re: RE:Kokanee / Silver Trout/land-locked sockeye

Post by obryan214 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:00 pm

knotabassturd wrote:IMO the landlocked coho are typically larger than the kokes on the west side here. But there are not a lot of places carrying landlocked coho on the west side that I'm aware of. Only area I know of is the dammed up portion of the Cow (Riffe Lake).
one of the lakes by bremerton carries landlock coho, Wildcat.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 pm

I posted this in the May 2014 Lake Chelan Gathering but it is good information so I thought it could go here.
"Effect Of Plankton On Light In The Water Column

Plankton is the general term. Phytoplankton is the plant plankton that forms the bulk of the kokanee diet. Phytoplankton is light dependent, reacting with light to grow. Because it is plant, it does not move around on its own, but is pushed about by currents and wave/wind action. Phytoplankton has its own set of minimum light and nutrient requirements.

Zooplankton is the animal plankton. Zooplankton feeds substantially on the phytoplankton. Zooplankton has the ability to move about without being totally dependent on current and wave/wind action. For our kokanee, the most important zooplankton are daphnia (water fleas). Daphnia are intolerant of light and when sunlight hits the water, daphnia descend down the water column. In spring, the kokanee are waiting for them from below. The chase often ends (or continues) with kokanee jumping out of the water, much to our entertainment. The absolute enemy of kokanee is the tiny mysis shrimp. Mysis eat the phytoplankton at such a rate that it virtually eliminates the food supply available to young kokanee. If there are no young kokanee, soon there will be no mature kokanee. These lessons were learned too late in Flathead Lake and Lake Tahoe.

Plankton growing in the water scatters light. But this scattering of light is actually a good thing for the kokanee fisherman because of the growth of plankton in the water. Kokanee are filter feeders, and their diet consists of this plankton. Without this plankton, there would be no kokanee fishing. More plankton, more food, more scattering of light. So bring on the light scattering plankton!!

When light is scattered, there is less of it to penetrate below what scattered it. In the case of plankton, it can be thought of as a canopy effect. The growing plankton shades the water beneath it. Again, less light below. In a healthy kokanee lake or reservoir, there will always be less light at depth."
http://www.fishwithgary.com/kokanee_uni ... part1.html
http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/new ... 963f4.html
" At first, kokanee size and numbers surged because the large, mature kokanee ate the newly-available mysid shrimp.
• As subsequent generations of kokanee were produced, they had to compete at an early stage for the most critical part of their diet.
• As young kokanee lost ground against the mysid shrimp, and starved or failed to thrive, mature kokanee either reached their lifespan or were fished out.
• Gradually, overall numbers began to decline."
http://www.greatcanadianlakes.com/briti ... _page2.htm

In regards to the Oregon lakes with record and large kokanee some years.
I am trying to understand my opponent, kokanee. In my research mysis shrimp doesn't mean that there will be consistently big fish. It appears that when there is an abundance of mysis it kills a lot of the small kokanee because they eat the same food, zooplantain. Unless there is a large flow in the lake to exchange the nutrients. Therefore, the one generation almost dies out giving more food for the older generation. That generation grows larger. But in some instances several lakes kokanee have crashed because that generation of large fish spawn out. Others have a few large fish for a year or two and then come back with abundance of small kokanee. This has happened at Wallowa.
2013 Oregon derbies have won with small fish (or average depending on what you are use to).
Odell Lake large fish just under 13 inches
Green Peter large fish just under 11.5 inches
Wickiup no individual fish just total team weight

Predicting Wallowa downfall
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _lake.html
Increase limits of small fish
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2013/may/052213c.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:26 am

Here is a link for some info on Lake Chelan from steelheadin360. I don't know how current it is. I could not find a date.
http://www.chelanpud.org/departments/li ... 9232_1.pdf

Here is another article from Colorado that explains more about kokanee and Lake Trout and Mysis Shrimp and a lake crashing.
http://warnercnr.colostate.edu/~brett/l ... r/FAQ.html